Check Left Front Side Light

I've recently had a couple of intermittent faults on my Octavia vRS saying "Check front side lights".

When the message occurred I checked both lights are everything seemed to be working.

Autoleveling, high beam, turning with the steering wheel etc.

I don't have an OBD reader but the car is anyway at the dealer next week to change the timing belt so I can ask them for the code.

I didn't find any threads for this but was wondering if there are any common failures of the light module to be aware of...? 

I'm assuming a new one will cost a few quid plus "learning/coding"?

The vRS came with Xenon lights as standard I think.

I've not changed or done anything to the lights or had any of them replaced.

The only work done on the lights was a warranty repair/TSB to replace the light controller due to a risk of "thermal event" but that was 7 years ago and they've been fine since.

I'm guessing it's a sign it's on its way out.

The resistance of one the lights is at the end of its tolerance perhaps...

Good point, I checked only at night/dusk with the lights on auto.

I'll check when I go to the car in a minute.

Can this be replaced without changing the complete unit? 

Sidelights are just the tiny standard 501 type bulbs, 2 minute job to change. They have their own housing on each light unit.

Check the Octavia MK3 all bulb replacements video guide on IAMASPANNER channel on youtube, it's one of the first ones he shows.

Edited by TeebsVRS
Update
  • Like 1

All seems to be working but then again I don't have the error at the moment.

I'll check this is it pops up again & perhaps try to order a replacement in advance so change it if it becomes a more regular fault.

Thanks for the input/ideas!

1 hour ago, The_Bomber said:

This started happening mine this week too. “Check front left sidelight” but all seems to be ok. All bulbs working correctly. 

Try looking at all your rear bulbs too, when I looked at the Leuchte channels on my Octavia it looked like there could be an error which reports a faulty rear bulb (can't remember which one) as a front left sidelight.

• Thanks 1

I'll try to inspect all the lights thoroughly next time the warning pops up.

Currently is about once a month but I'm sure it will increase at the fault matures

• 4 weeks later...

Error popped again today & on inspection the left side light was actually not working this time.

Popped it out (see the awesome video recommended by TeebsVRS) & the filament is gone.

I was actually surprised that they seem to be the "ice white" bulbs that are fitted (I wouldnt say the side lights were particularly white).

But a particularly easy fix, thanks to this awesome site as usual ;)

image.jpeg.92e192ae192b6a2a1703d1053a33b191.jpeg

1 minute ago, @Lee said:

Wait what! So the repair kit comes with screws and is therefore removable but you have to butcher the headlight to change the bulb?

WTAF were Skoda thinking when they designed that?! Nuts. 

yeah crazy isnt it....
I'd hope they changed that on the facelift & later versions.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

yeah crazy isnt it....
I'd hope they changed that on the facelift & later versions.....

I mean surely they could have left a hole and employed someone to fit a rubber grommet for peats sake 🤦

Edited by @Lee

A 27 minute video to show you how to change a sidelight bulb 😯😯😯

As you can guess I didn't watch it! Also seeing the markers along the time scale it looked like there would be 5 or more sets of adverts to suffer.

So how long is what should be the 5 minute job of changing a sidelight bulb on that model if the video takes 27 minutes?

12 hours ago, @Lee said:

Wait what! So the repair kit comes with screws and is therefore removable but you have to butcher the headlight to change the bulb?

WTAF were Skoda thinking when they designed that?! Nuts. 

That's only true for the indicator bulb, the sidelight and headlamp bulbs do NOT need the headlight to be butchered.

I changed my front sidelight bulb last month, so I know that no butchering is required.

Edited by PetrolDave

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

So how long is what should be the 5 minute job of changing a sidelight bulb on that model if the video takes 27 minutes?

Most of the time is taken up showing how he removes the indicator bulb cap/plastic.

Its the first time he's tried so there's several minutes of screwdriver, knife, soldering iron to melt the plastic before he achieved it & then he talks about how he would do it again if he needed to.

The rest of the video is actually very informative for the other lamps, how they are dismounted, the type, how to fit them back again.

• Like 1