Interior lights problem

So I picked up our 2015 superb greenline 3 (mk2 face-lift) last night. All good bar one thing, unfortunately there's an issue with the interior lights that I hadn't picked up when viewing it during the day (doh!)

The interior ceiling lights don't come on when either opening the doors, unlocking or removing ignition key. 

They work manually on the individual buttons no problem. Ours is the version with the 3-way rocker switch between the 2 domed lights. Central position being 'door' setting. 

The doorcard lights, footwell lights, boot and puddle lights all work as expected. So do the 2 pinhole LED's on the ceiling, which I presume are to illuminate the gearstick at night or something?

I've seen a few other similar discussions so I've briefly checked the passenger carpet for damp, all good. However, I think this was more an issue on the mark 3's?

Can't imagine fuse as the lights are working individually. 

So what else can I check, look at myself?? 

Cycle the switch and try in all 3 positions.

If no joy remove the switch, check wiring is connected, disconnect and test switching with a multimeter on audible continuity setting.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If no joy remove the switch, check wiring is connected, disconnect and test switching with a multimeter on audible continuity setting.

Yep, I've tried the former to no avail. Switch works at either extreme... Ie to turn both lights on or off, but not at the central position for coming on with the door. 

Will have it down when I get chance and follow the process you've suggested and report back 👍

Edited by Darealspoon

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sorry for the double post, but do you know if disconnecting this unit is going to mess up the alarm in anyway? I know it has the motion sensors on it. 

39 minutes ago, andrehj said:

@Darealspoon

I had a similar (same?) issue with our MY2012 S2. I posted the problem (and the solution) on the Dutch Skodaforum. You can probably read it with Google Translate: https://www.skodaforum.nl/forum/i/schakelaar-binnenverlichting-doorgebrand-→-nieuwste-artikelnummer.46070/

Thank you, thats really useful. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get the unit down to have a good look and check for damage. I've see on skodaparts you can buy the whole thing for new £150... Does seem alot but I'd probably go that route (or a scrap one), I'm happy with mechanical diy and parts swapping but electronics/soldering I'm not that familiar with. 

Just to update - I've had some moderate success with this, in the sense I know exactly what the problem is now (i think) 

I dropped the unit down, and if I play with that rocker switch just so, pressure in exactly the right place - the lights work exactly as they should, but you can hear and see it fizzing and sparking across the contact. The metal part the switch contact slides along has a gouge/groove worn in it. So I'm guessing when it's sat in the middle position, it's sort of in mid air rather than contacting the metal.

Without the surgically precisoned pressure, it doesn't work at all. 

I'm going to have a brief chat with an autospark and see if basically he can fix it less than the price of a new unit (£150). All the 2nd hand ones I'm seeing are pretty grotty condition wise. 

Hope this helps anyone else with similar 

On 24/11/2023 at 13:10, Darealspoon said:

Just to update - I've had some moderate success with this, in the sense I know exactly what the problem is now (i think) 

I dropped the unit down, and if I play with that rocker switch just so, pressure in exactly the right place - the lights work exactly as they should, but you can hear and see it fizzing and sparking across the contact. The metal part the switch contact slides along has a gouge/groove worn in it. So I'm guessing when it's sat in the middle position, it's sort of in mid air rather than contacting the metal.

Without the surgically precisoned pressure, it doesn't work at all. 

I'm going to have a brief chat with an autospark and see if basically he can fix it less than the price of a new unit (£150). All the 2nd hand ones I'm seeing are pretty grotty condition wise. 

Hope this helps anyone else with similar 

I had a similar issue with my interior lamp when I got my car, the contact had burnt out.

I used the internals from one that was fitted to a similarly aged seat Toledo/alteca/exeo, the only thing I had to was swap the LEDs over as the Seat one had red ones and not clear/green.

Cost was less than £15 and about an hour with the soldering iron

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

I had a similar issue with my interior lamp when I got my car, the contact had burnt out.

I used the internals from one that was fitted to a similarly aged seat Toledo/alteca/exeo, the only thing I had to was swap the LEDs over as the Seat one had red ones and not clear/green.

Cost was less than £15 and about an hour with the soldering iron

Thanks, sadly I don't solder at all (maybe time to learn) so I was looking to swap the whole unit. 

Annoyingly, there's several on ebay for between £30-£40, but they are all part number 3T0 947 105-B... Mine is 3T0 947 105-K 

From what I've worked out, the difference between the k and the b is a third sensor. No K's available anywhere other than Skoda-parts for £150. Still better than local skoda main dealer, £250 😕

16 hours ago, Darealspoon said:

Thanks, sadly I don't solder at all (maybe time to learn) so I was looking to swap the whole unit. 

Annoyingly, there's several on ebay for between £30-£40, but they are all part number 3T0 947 105-B... Mine is 3T0 947 105-K 

From what I've worked out, the difference between the k and the b is a third sensor. No K's available anywhere other than Skoda-parts for £150. Still better than local skoda main dealer, £250 😕

I am 99% sure that the sensors are just plug in on the circuit board, mine only came with 2 sensors and I transferred the  middle one over

This is a pic of the K, mine, has that additional yellow wire linking up the middle sensor. 

Screenshot_2023-11-27-09-23-31-383_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-edit.thumb.jpg.f4aa059b3d0e51651df20695e22ff293.jpg

Here's the B version with just the red cable going from either side.Screenshot_2023-11-27-09-24-56-487_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-edit.thumb.jpg.9f9c2dcfdfd8ba9267a9aa1d99e1ab42.jpg

No other difference I can see, visually, same connectors etc. Are you saying that potentially either will work? I can just take the 3rd sensor from my 'K' one, yellow wires included and it'll plug and play into the 'B' version. If so, great. I assumed maybe the wrong one would cause some sort of error, issue somewhere. 

Edited by Darealspoon

4 hours ago, Darealspoon said:

This is a pic of the K, mine, has that additional yellow wire linking up the middle sensor. 

Screenshot_2023-11-27-09-23-31-383_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-edit.thumb.jpg.f4aa059b3d0e51651df20695e22ff293.jpg

Here's the B version with just the red cable going from either side.Screenshot_2023-11-27-09-24-56-487_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-edit.thumb.jpg.9f9c2dcfdfd8ba9267a9aa1d99e1ab42.jpg

No other difference I can see, visually, same connectors etc. Are you saying that potentially either will work? I can just take the 3rd sensor from my 'K' one, yellow wires included and it'll plug and play into the 'B' version. If so, great. I assumed maybe the wrong one would cause some sort of error, issue somewhere. 

yes that's what I'm saying, mine came with only two sensors and I put my three sensor one in there.

The fairly sure black box that sits in front of it has r be transferred as well

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

yes that's what I'm saying, mine came with only two sensors and I put my three sensor one in there.

The fairly sure black box that sits in front of it has r be transferred as well

Great! And that bit doesnt require any soldering, that was just for your Led swap?

1 hour ago, Darealspoon said:

Great! And that bit doesnt require any soldering, that was just for your Led swap?

That's right, the soldering was for the LEDs in the switch and in the little lights that shine downwards onto the centre console

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

That's right, the soldering was for the LEDs in the switch and in the little lights that shine downwards onto the centre console

Ah magic, worth the difference in price to risk a 2nd hand unit then and hope the rocker switch is in a better state. Thanks so much for your help Jay 👍