Lower control arm issue

mk2rs2008

Hi everyone,

im replacing a lower control arm on my mk2 Fabia and I have ran into a bit road block on the outer bolt the engine is in the way I think the engine mounts have given up the ghost possibly I can’t remove the bolt more then in the image if I jack up the gear box a little bit it gives me a tiny bit more room but still not enough to take the bolt out any answers would be good as this car is never ending grief, 

ps added another photo of why I’m changing this part as the bushing has fully popped out of the control arm 🤬

926EE67F-8B12-47E3-90EB-BBE47FC7AFAF.jpeg

D175DC3E-A966-44FD-8808-DD173975498F.jpeg

I will give this a try tomorrow with a friend as he has better jack the does not go down every 5 seconds and I don’t have a block of wood not sure why I don’t it’s very annoying not having one,

WIth this being the pulley end, probably undoing the 1 nut on the mount (attached)  would give you enough to jack / lift it clear.

if you do choose this method, keep a close look on all pipes etc when you jack / lift the engine, there is normally lots of play anyway, but always be wary.

mount.jpg

Edited by UrbanPanzer
  • Like 1

This helped a lot really sketchy but it worked as engine did not want to get back into mount it’s a two man job but ended up doing it by my self just changing the coolent at the moment 

Edited by mk2rs2008

On 24/11/2023 at 22:19, UrbanPanzer said:

WIth this being the pulley end, probably undoing the 1 nut on the mount (attached)  would give you enough to jack / lift it clear.

if you do choose this method, keep a close look on all pipes etc when you jack / lift the engine, there is normally lots of play anyway, but always be wary.

mount.jpg

Just a comment in the passing, maybe for people who have not done this yet, the engine RHS mounting is sold by VW Group as a single assembled item, what exactly does the text supporting that "picture" from the official workshop manual say about this, maybe the red arrow is pointing this out, whereas the "!" group of bolts is instructing that they should be removed - and not that nut in the centre of the actual "silent block". I'm sure that I've read about this being the case - while "back street" workshops creating youtube videos just say "remove that nut and jack up the engine" - I can't say if or why removing that nut is a big issue though.

• Like 1

@rum4mo I’ll keep a eye on it as I have undone that bolt about 4 times before torqued the bolt back up, I was aware this engine mount is sold as once pice from vw, I was a little unsure about doing it but all went well I think the reason why is the engine is heavy as is very stubborn to get back in so I would not advise if you don’t want to lose your fingers as I could see how it could go wrong probably why they don’t want you to mess about with that bolt. Plus if your not careful you will damage the thread on the bolt as well so try at own risk.

• Like 1