I need a really good car body repair shop near Bolton

Drachir

Friday afternoon on M60 near Manchester, caught up in traffic jam when My previously mint condition 2012 superb elegance, auto, 170crdti 2012 hit in the rear.

Estimator just shook his head and said he would give estimate to insurers but reckoned over £6000 to replace Entire hatchback, bumper, lights boot floor supporting panels and bumper bar, reversing bar etc.

any suggestions to stop them writing off my pride and joy, which still drives perfectly.

I am sure I could source second hand bits but need a really good repairer who would be willing to work with used panels.

My car has only done 72000 miles with meticulous service history.

Looked on Ebay and all over internet and a replacement up to same spec and standard is about £8000 likely the offer from insurers will be a lot less.

2 minutes ago, Drachir said:

any suggestions to stop them writing off my pride and joy, which still drives perfectly.

Yes, dont make a claim.

• Like 1

The 'Estimator' will be using a programme on the computer to come up with a cost. 

You finding a cheaper way makes no difference if you are claiming off your insurance.

Get a settlement and buy it back & repair it cheaply if you think you can. 

EDIT  / PS.

I see your post now.   That would need money to buy it back and repair.  So however it goes it costs or you get paid out by the insurer.

Best start finding figures for replacements and dont accept the offer they give if stupid, which it will be. 

I take it you are not at fault and the person hitting you was and their insurers need to be 'Quoting you happy'.  

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Drachir said:

If I don't claim where do I get the money to repair?

OAP's aren't all rich in retirement

That wasn't your question or part of it, if you don't want it writing off then don't claim, if you want the money for the repairs then follow Roots suggestion and do them yourself with the money your insurers will pay you over and above the retained salvage value, I have been doing that all my life.

I have had zero income since Covid and will not see my pension for a few years yet, if someone hit me up the back making the car an uneconomic repair the above is exactly what I would do once again.

If you dont have the ability to do the repairs then you are back to looking for someone to do them using second hand parts.

I answered your question about how to prevent your treasured car being written off, I'll add something else for nothing, resist forcefully any attempts to take away your vehicle by either your insurer or the TP one, at that stage you will have lost everything including your ability to negotiate the salvage retention. I underlined the words because the insurers agents will act like it is no longer your vehicle and you need to be very forcefull to disabuse them of that notion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a payout for my car and bought another superb

Will now spend a few weeks servicing everything and replacing little things like damaged mirror indicator and finding out why the short boot lid collects rainwater which when I open the boot empties out all over the place.