OIL CONSUMPTION YETI 2.0 TDI

FRMA

Dear Yeti friends,

My YETI 2.0 TDI 110 CV 4X4 has 70.000 miles and uses a bit of oil. Nearly 1 litre every 10000 miles. 

I suppose this is within a normal range but still not any good

Is this a known problem?

Would you suggest a different oil from the 5W40 VW 504 00/507 00 recommended by Skoda?

Regards,

FRAM

Skoda / VW say 0.5 litres in 1,000 km is acceptable, which it is not, so 621 miles or 1 litre in 1,242 miles.

Are you doing oil & filter changes on a variable/ flexible regime, 18,000-20,000 miles / 24 months.

I would not worry about 1 litre every 10,000 miles, but then no idea how far you go from cold starts or how often 10,000 miles comes around. 

?

Is the engine correctly filled at services and not low on oil and how many miles is it between checking and topping up in that 10,000 miles?

8CFCA627-99C5-49CB-8B92-A9E4B118ACD7.jpeg.aff33411b2364c2a79a21c568d3c82a6.jpeg

Edited by Rooted

definitely using oil. Which has not done in the past at least so that much. 

I have other cars and other TDIs from VW and have no oil consumption

My Tuareg 3.0 TDI has low miles but virtually 0 oil consumption. I change the oil personally every year although I only do 4000 miles a year

My Yeti does 10000 a year

Lots of engines use very little oil and little point comparing a 3.0TDI with a 2.0 TDI or even another 3.0 TDI IMO.

Is it on Variable / Flexible servicing then and it get a litre in each year? then running it another year?

How often has it needed oil over the 6 years you ran it before this year?

• Like 1

If it used no oil and now it is using a measurable amount then something is amiss and will no doubt reveal itself in the course of time, if it remains at the current level you ma be able to live with it.

I am assuming that you would have seen of there was an oil leak, any oil being burned will reduce the life of the particulate filter.

My vehicle with the same engine consumes no oil , OK thats an impossibility but the level does not drop between oil changes, it had 79k miles when I got it and I have done a further 50K.

My experience with previous generation VAG TDIs is that when serviced regularly any initial mild oil consumption reduces with age, my MK1 Octavia used maybe 0.5 litre between services and stopped drinking when it got to 225000 miles.

At the risk of showing my age, I seem to recall once reading that if a new RR engine didn't use a specific amount of engine oil (IIRC, 1 pint in 1000 miles) the garage recalled it to rectify the problem.

• Like 1