That Pesky Bracket

daveannjon

Earlier this year at 91,000 miles the clutch pedal on my 4x4 descended to the floor never to return unless action was taken. It required the whole clutch/flywheel kit and I found some garages were not keen on doing the job with it being a 4x4. It did get done by LP Autos, Failsworth, Manchester and chatting to the garage owner he mentioned an annoying bracket which makes the job harder than it should be.

The other day I chanced on a YouTube video of such a Yeti clutch renewal and it showed the pesky bracket which prevents access to a bolt on the Haldex box, photo attached, the bolt hole is unfortunately in shadow but indicated by the arrow.

The job cost £1100.

Cheers

DaveW

Bracket.jpg

Oh yes, I know that bracket only too well.

A nice quick video that concentrates on the important bits, I have some comments as I did mine a different way and having looked at the video I think it saved me time and grief compared to his method but the weight of the gearbox and transfer box was huge at 68kg and I was doing it from a pit without a transmission jack.

I did not remove the steering rack, I unbolted it from the subframe and left it hanging.

I did not remove the transfer case, that bolt is all but impossible, leaving it in place meant I did not have to remove the DPF and did not lose any gearbox oil, there was still one bolt related to that plate which was a pig though.

I did not have to refill the gearbox oil.

The clutch will self bleed by gravity in seconds, it would take him far longer to set up and use the suction bleeder.

The way he shook the flywheel to show that it was knackered is not the way to test them, the new one would rotate in exactly the same manner, many many have been sent back by mechanics thinking the new one was faulty because they did not know the correct way to test the later DMF's, I too thought y new one was shot but consulted Docteur Youtube!

I have no doubt the old DMF was knackered and the flywheel face was blued anyway, the pressure plate on mine had dished and was only applying force to the outside of the driven plate, it had worn tapered as a result.