Car won't select a gear

Hi, my car will not select a gear when the engine is running, it deals a gear when engine turned off and if I try starting the engine with the car in gear and clutch pedal pressed down the car jolts forward.

Further info drove the car though a large puddle last night and continued on my journey home for a further 20 miles changing gears with no problem.

Sounds like clutch stuck to flywheel due to driving through puddle. . Try selecting gear start engine when car lurches forward press clutch and slam on foot brake or handbrake and clutch should release 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kenny R said:

Sounds like clutch stuck to flywheel due to driving through puddle. . Try selecting gear start engine when car lurches forward press clutch and slam on foot brake or handbrake and clutch should release 

Thanks Kenny R, that worked perfectly, so no more going through large puddles I will just reroute 👍

• Like 1

Wow! Every day is a learning day!

It certainly sounded exactly like a rusted and stuck clutch plate but I have never known it occur overnight, it usually takes weeks/months, I even posted that view very recently, granted that is from airborn moisture and yours got a soaking but that is ultra quick.

I have just seen from your location that you are in the North, did the problem occur after a freezing night perhaps?

I'm really pleased you resolved it and 👍to Kenny!

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Wow! Every day is a learning day!

It certainly sounded exactly like a rusted and stuck clutch plate but I have never known it occur overnight, it usually takes weeks/months, I even posted that view very recently, granted that is from airborn moisture and yours got a soaking but that is ultra quick.

I have just seen from your location that you are in the North, did the problem occur after a freezing night perhaps?

I'm really pleased you resolved it and 👍to Kenny!

Yes we had a lot of rain over a couple of preceding days but the temperature dropped quickly during the night. 

I've had the car from new and that's the first problem I've had with it.

• 1 month later...

I thought the clutch was a sealed unit, so how did the water get in.

BTW, know very little about anything underneath.