2015 L&K RNS510 head unit not responding, what are my options?

Slimy

My car head unit has stopped responding, when I turn the power on the buttons light up and I hear what sounds like a CD mechanism 'whirr' (like it's checking if there is a CD loaded), then the screen stays black and it keeps repeating. Every so often I see a line flash on the head unit but that's all. Just on the off chance it could be battery related I gave the battery an overnight charge and tried again, no luck.

I have seen some Android devices that look decent, and they talk about keeping integration with steering controls, parking sensors etc. But then I also see that the L&K got a little bit more in terms of audio, an external amp maybe? Would I still be able to use an Android unit with an L&K?

Alternatively I wouldn't mind the original getting fixed. The part number is 3T0 035 686 N, is there anywhere I can send it for a fix? I'm in the Midlands if that makes any difference?

A quick extra note, after doing some searches on here I found the '3 finger salute', this does work to bring up the 'The system is not able to start up' and 'please insert swl-cd'. Does that mean I'm potentially looking at just doing a firmware reload as a fix? If so, is there a reliable source for an appropriate CD/DVD?

I have a 2014 Superb Mk2 , sometimes when I start the car the Columbus radio unit works perfectly and other times it just comes up with the Skoda logo on the screen and keeps trying to reboot over and over again. Does anyone have a fix for this?

25 minutes ago, pab567 said:

Yes, that's what you need. I beleive you unit is C14 version, with 6xxx SW, you have SW download link on PM.

Ah brilliant, thanks for the link. Yes the top of the head unit mentions HW H27 and SW 6276.

12 minutes ago, Spalders said:

I have a 2014 Superb Mk2 , sometimes when I start the car the Columbus radio unit works perfectly and other times it just comes up with the Skoda logo on the screen and keeps trying to reboot over and over again. Does anyone have a fix for this?

When cars reach a certain age it is a good idea to check earthing points, can cause all sorts of electrical intermittent problems.

22 hours ago, pab567 said:

Yes, that's what you need. I beleive you unit is C14 version, with 6xxx SW, you have SW download link on PM.

All fixed!! I didn't need to apply the SW, just having it boot from the CD once allowed the existing SW to kick in and work. I'll keep hold of the disc in case it needs another kick up the behind.

Thanks again for the advice and the image, that's saved me a couple of hundred on a new head unit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have almost exactly the same problem @Spalders (skoda superb mk2 2015)

Can anybody help me with this one? maybe software update of reset?

Thanks