Dpf regen frequency

Typical I'm afraid and I found that even when I was doing 800km journeys with the engine under high load (towing overweight barn door trailers) where the engine was under constant passive regeneration it was not taking it into account and would regen several times on the journey and then keep trying each journey less then 25kms in the following week.

This is because it ignores the measured DPF values and its the calculated ones that trigger the regens, its fairly clear that the "emissions fix" ECU update was very poorly done and biased way to far the other way.

Eventually it became too much for me, I was concerned for the longevity of the EGR cooler and the bore wash from the wasted fuel injected on each abortive attempt at a regen, no point in having a car that has good fuel economy if you end up driving solely to allow a regen to complete every 120kms.

I  fitted an EGR emulator/simulator and then paid to have the emissions fix rolled back, I have been aware of 2 maybe 3 regens in the last year, just like my ex neighbour in the UK who would not allow his car to be "fixed"

It was not cheap but worth the money to me as I intend keeping the car for as many years as I can.

• Thanks 1

And mine interrupted a regen yesterday!!!

I have in the past thought I was getting a greater distance between the regens but in fact was simply unaware of when they happened at higher cruising speeds, the VCDS parameters always told the true story, others use an app for their phone, perhaps you do.

• 3 weeks later...

Has the car had the dieselgate emissions ‘fix’? I’ve had 2 2.0tdi mk2s. The 2013 140 never had the update, the 2015 170 had it before I bought it. Never felt any more powerful than my old 140 and would regen every 100-120 miles no matter whether I was driving urban or motorway. I found a fantastic Facebook group dedicated to putting people in touch with garages / tuners who can restore the car’s software to what it left the factory with. I had the rollback done locally, cost £100 & it was like having a new car. So much more responsive and torquey, could have sworn he’d remapped it. The VAG DPF app confirms an earlier pre ‘fix’ software file has been loaded on. Regens are now every 270-300 miles if I’m doing lots of start / stop urban driving & 400+ if I’ve got a lot of motorway miles between fillups. MPG is up slightly too. 
Search for EA189 Fix Reversal Assistance on Facebook. If you want the details of the guy I used in Oldham feel free to ask. 

• Like 1