Replace Key shell on Citigo

AdamDB

Hi all, 

planning to replace the key shell on my wife's Citigo soon ( just waiting on some circlip pliers). I got a replacement shell from Amazon. I believe it's referred to as a mark 5 VW style key which is held together with a pin.  I believe the correct approach is to just 'pop' the case open which breaks it in the process but means the circuit board remains safe. I believe there's the chance you can damage the board if you try and push in the holding pin as it can hit the electronics. Anyhow, I believe I've got the process correct to change over the shells but now I'm on the search for a suitable replacement logo badge (There a good video HERE). Does anyone know the size of the badge that's needed, I've measured the indent on the replacement key and it's about 10mm but all the replacement badges i've seen (for example This EBAY auction) seem to indicate they are 14mm. Just wondered if someone had done this and had applied the 14mm ones successfully. I've seen other Skoda variant logos at 12mm and some VW ones at 10mm. 

Would just like to make sure I get the right ones. Any input appreciated.

61b5lzHqpiL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Edited by AdamDB

It seems my logo might be a 12mm one. There is a genuine part number for it (3T0837891A) but of course Skoda don't stock it in the UK... as usual... trying some 3rd party key suppliers (HERE).

• 4 weeks later...

So finally got this done having had to wait for the replacement 12mm logo to be delivered ( (3T0837891A). Successfully got the old key apart and transplanted the electronics. All good until trying to put the existing blade into the new key. Sadly the hole which forms part of the tang is slightly smaller on the new key than the original. This left two choices. 1. Remove the pin from each key which holds the 'cut' part in place or 2. get a new key cut from the existing one. I tried option 1 but after 25 minutes and no progress i abandoned that approach. The issue with moving the blades (As per the video) is the potential it may not even fit and may require further 'fettling'. So I went for option 2 and found a local locksmith (don't bother with the chains they won't even look at it unless you buy the whole thing from them for a starting price of £50 upwards).. they cut me a replacement blade for £20.

So now I have a brand new key effectively... worth the effort i think as the keys on the old one were starting to soften and degrade from use. This should give a few decent years of service now.

Total cost was around £8 for the shell, £20 for the new blade to be cut and £10 for the logo on the back (genuine part which came via this ebay auction - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203473104576).

Photos of before (vertical) and after (horizontal).

cheers.

20240108_142445.jpg

20240108_142453.jpg

20240108_154854.jpg

20240108_154900.jpg

• Like 3

Great effort and great enterprise.  The key on my 2017 is equally dilapidated - it's really cheap soft plastic.  I bought a unused genuine Yeti one to use to re-shell it - it has the old logo but the plastic is so much nicer 

• Like 1

Don't really like this design of key (i think it's referred to as a V5 series design). AS it uses metal pins to hold the shell together it's generally a one way trip once you snap open the old key.. the newer design (which i have on my ateca) is much easier to work on...i was able to re-shell that and re-use the part of the key with the logo. Hopefully will help anyone who attempts it in future.

Yeah to preserve the Yeti key shell I had to bash the pin through using a punch -  and then I could open it with a pair of plies and brute force without totally destroying it.  It's definitely not made to be opened or re-used