Once a week it does this

kkbc

Hi, 

Once a week the car has started doing this.

It will run just slightly under 1000 revs, when you move off from stationary it will kick out smoke, a mixture of greyish and a little blue. You can smell smoke in the car when it is running like this. It will do this whether the car is cold or warm. 

I've taken it to 2 separate garages to get the DPF cleaned. Both have said it does not need doing as the levels are quite low. One advised to change the glow plugs (which I've done).

No warning lights on dash (did have the DPF light a couple of times last year which led me to believe it was linked to that) but cleared up after a run. 

This issue will clear after a bit of a consistent run (regularly on the motorway so no real issues).

It's approaching 190k and pretty much on original everything (clutch, turbo, DPF etc). 

The last garage I took it to advised to put some Lucas oil stabilizer in on the next oil change.

Car has a full service every year and runs on Shell V Power (If that makes any difference). 

No loss of power, can be very very slightly lumpy when it is doing what ever it is doing.  

Any ideas what is causing this. Suspect a sensor failing or something? No idea really. 

The garage that checked DPF with VCDS said there were no other indicators. 

Edited by kkbc

Normal behaviour for a DPF regeneration.

How many miles are you doing between occurences?

What is your habitual journey profile, how many miles, average speed, urban or autoroute etc?

Regens should normally only happen when up to operating temperature and a host of other conditions, if they cannot complete (you end the journey before completion) then after a couple of occurences it will start regenning from cold.

Have you not noticed the radiator fans running when this happens and also them running after engine shut down?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Normal behaviour for a DPF regeneration.

How many miles are you doing between occurences?

Around 250 miles, it's a weekly occurrence now

What is your habitual journey profile, how many miles, average speed, urban or autoroute etc?

Mainly motorway 20 mins each way. Will average 60/70 mph, when it's doing this I will normally keep it in fourth at around 60 mph keeping the revs at around 2,300. The journey I do  probably isn't long enough for a regen? 

Regens should normally only happen when up to operating temperature and a host of other conditions, if they cannot complete (you end the journey before completion) then after a couple of occurences it will start regenning from cold -

Wasn't aware it would try from cold which is what threw me

Have you not noticed the radiator fans running when this happens and also them running after engine shut down? -

Not heard the fans run after engine shut down for quite some time now. 

Edited by kkbc

Don't waste money on snake oils unless you really want too because you like shopping.

Thinker oil might dampen noise, it might even increase oil pressure, but it does not lubricate better or sort anything.

Just use the correct oil for the engine, to VW504 00 / 507 00

• Like 2