Parking light?

AVTUR

Recently, the wife's '23 Sportline Karoq has recently started doing a random thing with the lights. The lights switch is always left selected to 'Auto', but sometimes (not always) when locking the car and the headlamps have gone out after their allotted time, the passenger side light (parking light?) stays on. The only way to turn it off is to start the engine again, select the lights to 'off', back to 'auto', and then lock the car again. Anyone have an idea what might be causing this please? 

1 hour ago, BTandSid said:

No idea what’s causing the problem but why not turn the lights off when you leave it then switch back on to Auto when you next go out? 

Because that defeats the object of Auto Lights if you have to keep using the switch. It simply hides the problem. 

28 minutes ago, Dazm said:

Are you sure it's not cornering light?  I noticed on mine that the lights go out but random light at the front stays on for another 20 seconds or so

No, I'm not sure, it was purely an assumption. However, I haven't stood and watched how long it takes to go out, if it even does. I think that'll be my next move. Thanks for the reply. 👍

Could be a faulty light switch,

Have you checked you haven't accidentally moved it, so it is stuck between 2 positions, (both rotating towards sidelights, or half pulled out to fog lights position.

The parking lights should only operate with indicator switch, so that could be misaligned too

9 hours ago, AVTUR said:

Because that defeats the object of Auto Lights if you have to keep using the switch. It simply hides the problem. 

Fully appreciate that significant time can be saved by not having to switch on the lights 😏 

7 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Could be a faulty light switch,

Have you checked you haven't accidentally moved it, so it is stuck between 2 positions, (both rotating towards sidelights, or half pulled out to fog lights position.

The parking lights should only operate with indicator switch, so that could be misaligned too

The switch is most definitely in the 'auto' position. 👍

I like to leave our light switches in ON position as I don't need the lights on and off as I reach or depart the vehicle.  Days are short and nights are long so it's lights always on for a few months.

But, the days are now getting longer 🙂

On 26/12/2023 at 13:31, Dazm said:

Are you sure it's not cornering light?  I noticed on mine that the lights go out but random light at the front stays on for another 20 seconds or so

Having monitored it over a few days your diagnosis is spot on, it's the cornering light and is activated when pulling onto the driveway at home. Thanks for the info. 👍