Octavia iV (PHEV) disappointingly low range on electric???

FABvirgil

What really gives some idea of the MPG is if brimmed and fully charged and driven 100 miles or so and brimmed and then not charged before the return journey.

It is pretty easy if just going 60 miles to say how good the MPG was when 20-30 miles of it might never have the engine fired up. 

I use no Petrol or Diesel as in a BEV and the first 100 miles is pretty cheap if charged at home, but the 100 miles return is not if needing to use a public charger.

3 hours ago, AndyRat said:

I'd be interested how you record and calculate mpg & overall costs etc.  I have a simple spreadsheet for ICE vehicles, work out MPG/cost based on full tank to full tank, but have got a real convoluted method with charging, have you cracked this somehow?

Have I cracked it, hell yeah.......no, no I haven't. 🤣

Probably very similar to yourself on a spreadsheet.

Like Simon 667 says above 63mpg with charge, 55mpg without charge is similar to what I have seen as well.

The way I see it is I was measuring MPG. That number is better with a charge than without, so over 12 months of noting all the miles, all the fuel used you get your MPG.

I dont see the EV drive really comes into the MPG figure, except to stretch the average from 55mpg to 63mpg (ish).

If you fill up in January, but manage an entire year on short journeys of 25 miles, you will end the year showing 300+mpg because you never turned the ICE on.

If you fill up in January but never charge it, you will end up on 50-55mpg because that's what the 1.4 ICE will achieve.

I have no idea if that's correct, but that's they way I've been looking at it.

I'm swapping to an Enyaq in March, so have to figure out how to measure that's efficiency as well.

Edited by MickyD44

1 hour ago, MickyD44 said:

The way I see it is I was measuring MPG. That number is better with a charge than without, so over 12 months of noting all the miles, all the fuel used you get your MPG.

I dont see the EV drive really comes into the MPG figure, except to stretch the average from 55mpg to 63mpg (ish).

If you fill up in January, but manage an entire year on short journeys of 25 miles, you will end the year showing 300+mpg because you never turned the ICE on.

If you fill up in January but never charge it, you will end up on 50-55mpg because that's what the 1.4 ICE will achieve.

I have no idea if that's correct, but that's they way I've been looking at it.

I'm swapping to an Enyaq in March, so have to figure out how to measure that's efficiency as well.

Surely the ev drive does come into the mpg figure.
You still have to pay money for the electricity you put in that increases the mpg or propels it along if you did the whole year of short journeys never using the engine.

The MPG is Miles Per Gallon, not Pounds per Mile.

When it comes to a full BEV you dont measure mpg, its Miles per KwH.

I'm sure there is some clever way of equating the KwH figure of a hybrid into mpg, and adding it to the actual mpg of the ICE, to give you a total figure, but I dont know what it is.

5 minutes ago, MickyD44 said:

The MPG is Miles Per Gallon, not Pounds per Mile.

When it comes to a full BEV you dont measure mpg, its Miles per KwH.

I'm sure there is some clever way of equating the KwH figure of a hybrid into mpg, and adding it to the actual mpg of the ICE, to give you a total figure, but I dont know what it is.

So here's an interesting calculation .....

On my octopus Go tariff I can charge at 7.5p/kWh.

The battery capacity on the iV is 13kWh so 0-100% charge costs me 97.5p

Let's say I can get a 25 mile journey on pure E from a fully charged battery; this figure is not unreasonable if driven carefully on a single journey (coast + care) even in winter.

Average price of unleaded is about 150p/litre (it varies) so 97.5p would buy me 97.5/150 litres of liquid fuel, or (97.5/150)/4.5 =  0.144 gallons of liquid fuel

MPG is a figure that is calculated to give a measure of fuel economy so it makes some kind of sense to say that I am getting 25 miles from 0.144 gallons = 174 EMPG (Equivalent Miles Per Gallon)

This thread has attracted a lot of interesting analysis so I thought I'd throw this one into the mix!

Lots of variations spring to mind, e.g. what is the break even cost per kWh to get an EMPG of say 50? What is the EMPG if charging is done only at public stations, and so on .....

7 hours ago, FABvirgil said:

The battery capacity on the iV is 13kWh

The TOTAL battery capacity is 13 kWh, but the "usable" one is 10 or 10.5 kWh.
I never saw more than 11 kWh delivered by the charging station for a 0-100% charge (total indicated by the charging App), not even on cold weather when the charging efficiency is a bit lower.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 28/01/2024 at 00:21, PoloGaz said:

Yesterday I only managed 17 miles on electric (2 very short journeys plus 2 longer ones. Heaters used, seats, wheel, etc

Today I got 32 miles on elec. 22 miles in one journey and then 10 miles on another until the battery was empty. I only used heating on the 2nd journey. Had I not bothered I probably could have added another 2-3 miles on there

i was trying pretty hard to be efficient. Regen on auto and taking it fairly steady (60-65) on motorway)

I’m hoping in the spring I can achieve the advertised 40 miles out of it. Have done a couple of trips on electric which were above 4 mi per kWh average so it looks quite possible

achieved 40 miles elec range today with 5% remaining so probably could’ve done 42 miles total. 2 journeys again. First one about 5 miles and 2nd one about 35. Some motorway on 2nd run but mostly town driving and a few 40mph stretches. 

IMG_5904.png

• Like 1

Great. 

So looks like only 11 kWh usable battery only. Or less.

4.4 miles x 11 kWh = 48.4 miles.   

4.4 miles x 10 kWh = 44.0 miles

Yes 40 miles + 5 % of 11 kWh,  0.55 kW 2 miles,  42 miles.  

I think the official figure is 9.6 useable. 9.6 x 4.4 = 42.2 miles

Did the remaining 2 miles this morning as it didn’t charge last night 🙈

Edited by PoloGaz
  • Haha 1