Can-Bus ?

red2

Since it's now 32 years since Mercedes introduced CAN Bus technology on the S Class, it's not exactly "modern stuff".  

However, in answer to your question, yes it does. Even your 11 year old Yeti is equipped with a CAN Bus system. 

VAG were using it over a decade before that, my 2001 MK1 Octavia had it and I was blissfully unaware.

The reliability and absence of electronic shenanigans was indeed bliss compared to the later vehicles I have owned.

Schtum - I should have pointed out my 2012 Yeti is modern compared to the previous cars I have owned 🙂

Thanks for confirming. 

J.R. - Do you think your experience with less reliable electrical systems on your more recent cars is something that is representative of vehicles in general ?

Maybe what will limit the effective lifespan of current and recent vehicles will be the onset of electrical issues that are too complex to cost effectively repair. 

With the extra amount of technology in modern cars there is a LOT more to go wrong but I find my cars and motorcycles of the last 15 years much more reliable than cars of the past and bodywork being nearly indestructible to corrosion.

• Like 2

For VAG 25 years ago was the pinnacle, stellar mechanical reliability, superb rustproofing and paintwork, electrical issues were not even a consideration yet Canbus had already crept in but in a very positive way behind the scenes. I am speaking of the MK1 Octavia but it could equally have been one many other VAG vehicles of the time on the same platform.

The MK2 was to me terrible by comparison, sure it had some new toys and features, the body corrosion resistance wasn't bad but the seamsealing nowhere near as good as the MK1but anything underneath bolted to the bodyshell subframes, suspension arms, brake disc backplates etc had as much protection as a disposable tissue, there was masses of flaky emissions control equipment and Canbus control modules everywhere sitting in between the switches and the item controlled by the switch be it headlights, fuel filler flap, door locks, pretty much everything now was at the mercy of what had become a very flaky system that would go tits up if the battery voltage fell slightly, the problem threshoild was much higher than the voltage needed to start the vehicle so a normal start up or use of the now current hungry electric power steering (another backwards step) after start up would cause no end of error codes and MIL lights.

In 32500 miles my MK1 never once showed a MIL light, the MK2 was fault code city with the dashboard looking like an xmas tree on a regular basis, oh and I forgot the constant airbag warning indicators which had cost the previous owner £2500 in repairs to acheive nothing and was the reason it was finally PX'd, made its way through the trade being bounced back by several buyers before I got it cheap and fixed the fault for nothing more than patience and head scratching.

The Yeti being on the same platform has all the above weaknesses but to a (so far) lesser degree.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with JR.

I too had a MK1 Octavia, a 2003 1.9 tdi, and in 275,000km driven (~150k miles and 182k miles total since new and with much abuse) I had precious few problems with it and certainly I never once saw an ECU light!

On my current much younger and lower mileage Yeti, still only 124k km/67k miles, I've already had to replace the clutch master cylinder and had a number of electrical problems including broken wires in both door looms and a faulty rear hatch lock.

Sure it's petrol not diesel and I probably won't live long enough to put the sort of miles on it I did the Octy but I cannot imagine it getting anywhere near 180k miles without major trauma.

1 hour ago, KiNeL said:

I agree with JR.

I too had a MK1 Octavia, a 2003 1.9 tdi, and in 275,000km driven (~150k miles and 182k miles total since new and with much abuse) I had precious few problems with it and certainly I never once saw an ECU light!

On my current much younger and lower mileage Yeti, still only 124k km/67k miles, I've already had to replace the clutch master cylinder and had a number of electrical problems including broken wires in both door looms and a faulty rear hatch lock.

Sure it's petrol not diesel and I probably won't live long enough to put the sort of miles on it I did the Octy but I cannot imagine it getting anywhere near 180k miles without major trauma.

All of which could, and have, occured with other makes of cars. They aren't specific to Skoda. Just look at any other car forums and similar faults crop up across the range.