Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI 2017 DSG Reliability

Toby7243

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG but just wanted to ask if there's anything I should be aware of reliability wise? From what I've read online, the old 1.2 TSI engines could be problematic but the newer generation are fairly robust?

Car has done around 57k miles. Had cambelt done last year.

Also, what sort of economy could I expect to see from the car? I do around 400 miles a week (300 motorway, 100 commuting/town driving).

The Yeti will be replacing my 1.6 Diesel Octavia Greenline III (which will be going to the Mrs.) - to be fair we could probably keep using the Octavia for the 300 mile a week journeys.

Many thanks. 

Just the cam chain rattle really on models before they switched to a cambelt, like yours. We had an oil seal re-done under warranty (can't remember which). Other than keeping an eye on the DSG, its pretty simple and reliable as a 1.2.

We've had 3 x 1.2s, 3 x TDis and a 1.8 petrol over the years. I've gone back and checked my records and I have 42mpg as our average on the 1.2s, but how long is a piece of string ? Someone is bound to come on and swear blind that they regularly get 55mpg...!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Prezafab said:

Just the cam chain rattle really on models before they switched to a cambelt, like yours. We had an oil seal re-done under warranty (can't remember which). Other than keeping an eye on the DSG, its pretty simple and reliable as a 1.2.

We've had 3 x 1.2s, 3 x TDis and a 1.8 petrol over the years. I've gone back and checked my records and I have 42mpg as our average on the 1.2s, but how long is a piece of string ? Someone is bound to come on and swear blind that they regularly get 55mpg...!

Thanks for this.

Is there anything specific to keep an eye out for on the DSG? This is going to be the first auto car I've owned so I'm a bit of a newbie to the world of autos. I know the gearbox in the 1.2 isn't renowned for reliability, so I'm going to see if I can get an extended warranty which will cover me if the worst happens!

The 1.2 uses a different dsg auto to the ones with 4x4. There used to be a debate if the 1.2 one was sealed for life or not, because the 4x4 one has a gearbox oil and filter change every 40,000 miles.

I would wait for those with the latest view to reply, or call a Skoda dealer and ask ? For info, our 4x4 dsg oil change was about £250, but we've found a good local garage since that would be cheaper next time.

I’ve got a 1.2 DSG (2017) and just passed 50,000 miles. My MPG from new is 44.45 calculated on a brim-fill-to-brim-full basis. MPG is dependent on how you drive (obviously) and weather conditions. Worse was 36.2 on an emergency high speed motorway trip to Cornwall from N Yorkshire against a howling head wind gale, best was 48.2 on a leisurely drive to Suffolk on A and B roads with max 60 MPH restrictions. Generally you should expect about 42-44 MPG on day to day motoring depending on how you drive and traffic conditions. Incidentally I use E5 petrol, which is more expensive than E10, but I get better MPG which more than balances the extra cost.

I’ve had 3 DSG’s and never had any problems with any of them. They have certainly improved since the first ones and are now much smoother and silky, I assume continuous development has ironed out the early problems. DSG’s are a bit different to drive than traditional torque converter autos but it is something you very quickly get used to.

• Like 2

No debate, nothing is filled for life with a DSG.  But there is no Servicing Schedule with a DQ200 DSG.

The Oils can be changed in the box and the MCU if needs must or someone wants to. 

But that would not be a Skoda / VW Main Dealership doing it if anyone cared.  

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/519933-dsg

As for DQ250 DSG,s, if someone can get someone to change the oil and filter for £250 or less they are not making much money taking into account the cost of the Oil, Filter & Plug.

& 20% VAT. 

Edited by Rooted

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

As for DQ250 DSG,s, if someone can get someone to change the oil and filter for £250 or less they are not making much money taking into account the cost of the Oil, Filter & Plug.

& 20% VAT. 

That price was at a Skoda garage who had a fixed price deal in Oct 2022.

• Thanks 1

Those were the days and then the cost started going crazy.  Good if you find Service desk staff without a clue. 

Anyone now might be paying what the DQ381 costs, and anyone with one of those need to be sure they are changing the filter as dealerships say this is not required.

959813611_Screenshot2023-03-0510_34_49.png.85bef5569b66a2b4526c506c3bbe7ad1.png

575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c.jpg

Thanks for all your comments. Picked up the Yeti today. Drove the Octy to pick it up and the Mrs followed me back in the Octy. Must say I'm in love with the car already. Getting around 38ish MPG and apparently around 400 miles of range from a tank so if it does anywhere near that I'll be more than happy.

Can definitely see why these cars are loved.

Oh, and the Xenon headlights are insane! We have a company Audi S3 (67 plate) with LED headlights and I think I can safely say the Yeti lights are on par with these. It's like daylight when main beam is on!

One other thing... The 1.2 TSI is astonishing.

I have a Focus RS MK3 as a weekend toy, running around 400bhp so was slightly skeptical thinking the Yeti may feel a bit anemic. Obviously there's a big gulf in power and performance, but the 1.2 doesn't feel underpowered. I actually think it feels pretty nippy.

My late father had a 2016 Fabia with the 1.2 TSI and to be fair that thing could move. I suspect it's partly down to the gearbox though.

3 hours ago, Toby7243 said:

One other thing... The 1.2 TSI is astonishing.

I have a Focus RS MK3 as a weekend toy, running around 400bhp so was slightly skeptical thinking the Yeti may feel a bit anemic. Obviously there's a big gulf in power and performance, but the 1.2 doesn't feel underpowered. I actually think it feels pretty nippy.

My late father had a 2016 Fabia with the 1.2 TSI and to be fair that thing could move. I suspect it's partly down to the gearbox though.

I bought a 1.2 TSi dsg Fabia (105) for my Elderly mum last year because we had had the previous Yetis, and drove it the 150 miles home for her. The engineering team did a great job of matching the turbo / torque delivery to the gearbox programming (which gear when and how quickly). Quiet, easy-going, economical, perky feeling.

Thought I'd post a quick photo - one week in and I love this thing!

YETIEDITED.jpg