Thinking Octavia MK4

I jumped the boat last year and got a Volvo XC40 D4 AWD, great drive and quality but I had to pay a lot of money on top of what I got for my Octy MK3 18 plate sel 2.0 TDI, again great service and no problems.

Thinking of coming back to Skoda Octavia MK4 but 1.4tsi. 

Is it a improvement on the MK3........ what's the cabin noise like and is it still beam back axle.

Even though the Volvo's very nice things are starting to happen with the adblue system playing up and can see it's going to be very costly maintenance wise when warranty expires.

Are you guys happy with the MK4 or would you advise me otherwise.

Very happy with the 1.4tsi. Very quiet and bags of torque, very economical and no ad blue or dpf to worry about. Still the same rear axle on the wagon as the Mk3 (AFAIK), but rides very well, even better if you go for the options to include suspension settings. Never had a Mk3, but the Mk4 is a lovely thing. I came from a Mk7 Golf wagon, same beautiful engine.

@benterrierAre you in the UK and asking about a 1.4 TSI PHEV with rather than maybe as Southern Comfort has a 1.4 TSI with an 8 speed automatic?

The difference is that the 1.4 TSI as still available in other World regions could not get WLTP certified for Europe.

Great engines still but needed the electrification to live on. 

Hi Rooted. I've been a diesel fan for years and have always bought low mileage second hand cars. I won't be going anywhere near electrification of any kind as long as I can help it. 

I guess I must take a closer look at the MK4 and drive one for myself given the recommendations of Southern comfort. What are these Dsg boxes like now, always seemed to hear horror stories, that's why all my vag car's were manual until the Volvo which is auto and very nice.

Thanks guys.

I am in UK.

As you're in the UK the 1.4tsi may only be available as a PHEV as Rooted says. If I'm right, I think you have the 1.5tsi petrol version over there (same 110kw output as my 1.4) which may the one you want to look at. Anyway someone will correct me if I'm wrong. My 1.4 petrol has the 8sp torque converter trans rather than the 7sp DSG, same as the VW Golf. We're not as entrenched in EV variants here yet, fortunately. They are on the increase but Skoda don't bring any into our market yet, nor does VW for that matter. I'm determined to avoid the electric stuff too. Hope you find something suitable.

• Like 1

@benterrierIt would be a 1.5 TSI ACT then. (Active Cylinder Technology) & a DQ200 DSG.

Not the same issues with the DQ200 as there have been in the past.  But it is still advised to go with an extended warranty that covers the DSG.

You would maybe be as well looking at a 2.0 TSI with a 7 Speed wet clutch DSG. 

(But then that is the DQ381 and the number having issues with them are growing and VW Group playing at being deaf & blind.)

My other observation is that since you are looking for a used example, I'd suggest looking for the latest model you can afford. From what I've read over time on the forum, most niggles seem to have been around the earlier 20/21 models. A lot of it possibly to do with early software. 

@benterrier the mk4 cabin is a much nicer place to be than the mk3, the plastics and other materials feel a big step up in my opinion.

As others have said it’ll now be a 1.5tsi ACT that has 150ps. I have a manual estate 2020 model. @SouthernComfort is right to have alluded to the many s/ware issues in earlier models; there are fixes available which ought to be applied to any used examples bought through official Škoda channels - but sadly there are some reports on these forums where it’s not the case. If you buy used ensure all the fixes are applied.

Cabin noise is pretty well muted in mine other than tyre noise - but that is perhaps more to do with the Michelins on mine as factory fitted. They are lasting well though, about 4.5mm left after 35k miles.

Not sure I know what I’d be looking for regards the rear axle, sorry. Hopefully others know more than I do!

Fuel economy is very good in the mk4s too, it has better aero efficiency than the mk3. I’m surprised to be averaging mid-50s mpg since I bought it (that’s brim to brim calculations) and on a long motorway run it’s usually 62mpg or better.

• Like 1