Oil again

Hi , just got my mk3 1.0 tsi 95 estate. Been looking for this answer on the threads but can’t find the definitive answer.

i know i need vw504 spec but opie oils show that in either 0w40 or 5w30.

i do mostly short journirs and expect to do around 3k miles per year. I will service it myself and tend to keep my cars for a long time.

i prefer to pay a bit more for a top quality oil and always use OEM filters. The question is, which grade oil best suits my requirements?

Matt

If your car is pre 1.0 TSI with a GPF, so just before 2018 and needs VW504 00 / 507 00 it is 0w 30 FS III or 5w 30 FS III for Fixed or Variable Service intervals, 

& it can be VW 502 00 for Fixed Service Intervals, 5w 40 FS.  

All oil to that spec is top quality.   Castrol is not top quality more than others.   Many  VW Group UK main dealers uses Fuchs Lubricants Quantum Oils.

VW508 00 / 509 00, 0w 20 FS IV is for the cars that were WLTP Certificated / have a GPF. 

This chart is misleading. Skoda were not putting in VW508 00 / 509 00 at the factory from 2015. 

1872327318_972195316_Screenshot2019-07-21at16_37_00(3).webp.50641ab517e18486d2a3840fbc61abdb.webp.a958cfdbadb3bb783edc2bad01b2ea3e.webp

image.webp.b48e6771853b15b770e956a10ec5660b.webp.2721e5e275bfd9c6b35e39bef234c58e.webp

Edited by Rooted

3 hours ago, MattRuss said:

Hi , just got my mk3 1.0 tsi 95 estate. Been looking for this answer on the threads but can’t find the definitive answer.

i do mostly short journirs and expect to do around 3k miles per year. I will service it myself and tend to keep my cars for a long time.

i prefer to pay a bit more for a top quality oil and always use OEM filters. The question is, which grade oil best suits my requirements?

Matt

I'd use 0W-40 for short runs because it pumps up pressure faster on cold starts.

I would use 5w 40 FS to VW502 00 and change the oil at fixed service intervals. The recommended oil for Fixed Services with the TSI.

Not long life oil.  9,400 miles / 372 days or sooner changes.

I did use this with 1.4 TSI Twinchargers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rooted said:

I would use 5w 40 FS to VW502 00 and change the oil at fixed service intervals.

Exactly what I do with three of mine with the same oil.

Thanks. AG Falco

On 11/01/2024 at 06:39, MattRuss said:

Personally for short journeys and 3k-miles a year I would go for a 0w-40 or 0W-30 and change it, and filter, at least once a year if you want to keep the car long term.  The 0w oils tend to be better oils as it takes a fraction more effort and recipes to get them to 0w.

If you are coming from a 2011 car then you will want more use of an appropriate battery charger and maintainer and/or disconnecting the battery if the car is sitting around unused for weeks, see the Owner's Manual.

VW are differ with their oils, in the Owner's Manual they say what VW command number is required but not what mulitigrade or quantity.  Lots of oil info here, only one manufacture's info of course. -https://penriteoil.com.au/knowledge-centre/Penrite-Knowledge-Centre/197/What-is-the-Penrite-Knowledge-Centre/461

Thanks for the reply but I’m still unsure what oil to use. Mine is a 2020 car so I’m guessing I need vw50400 but which grade should I use 0w30 or 5w30?

skoda are not at helpful in their manuals about this and considering this is my first Skoda it’s not a good start.

I’ve now asked the same question to two local Škoda dealers. They both told me they put castrol edge 0W 20 in these engines. Considering the Škoda oil filler cap has castrol embossed on it I tend to believe what they say so that’s what I’m going for

a 2020 TSI is VW508 00 / 509 00 so 0w 20 FS IV.

It was your OP that said what you knew you needed.  Where did you get that from? 

Was it your registration number into the Opie Oils and showing the correct year?

http://opieoils.co.uk

Castrol on the cap & Skoda / VW Main dealers in UK get Quantum oil from Fuchs Lubrication and that is what TPS supplies.

The 1.0 TSI with GPF can still use non Long Life Oil so VW502 00,  5w 40 FS, but that does not show anyplace from Skoda. 

As it can use 5w 30 FS III or 0w 30 FS III, but as the chart shows 'there might be a slight deterioration in emission values.' 

ie, they would not have got the WPTP results under a test regime.

Edited by Rooted

I share your frustrations with the way the way VW go about these things and info in Owner's Manual which gets less and less as the years go on. 

You can use Castrol if you want my wife's 2015 Owner's' Manuals (and other stuff) folder thing has a Castrol Edge badge stitched and glued on it so I guess VW/Skoda/UK has some commercial contract with Castrol so that's what the official Dealerships use but you can use other appropriate oils if you want.  The Owner's Manual should tell you what VW dictate for VW number (50? ??) is required for your engine.  Again the following link tells you a lot about oil specs including VW's dictates. - https://penriteoil.com.au/knowledge-centre/Penrite-Knowledge-Centre/197/What-is-the-Penrite-Knowledge-Centre/461

Not necessarily for your engine but just one example only of one 1.0 engine from the 7/2020 Owner's Manual.-

hbbbh.jpg.cef5f9f81162d4681e0b49ea75409479.jpg

Next thing you need to know is quaintly needed (I don't know) but if you're used to doing your own servicing you'll know dry fill capacities are higher than real world cold drain and refills.   

It would have helped if you put your car was a 2020 sooner, it would perhaps help if you change your profile to add/replace the car details as currently you show Octavia tfsi 2.0, 2011. and then if the Fabia is your first Skoda what's the Octavia about?

njnnn.jpg.42f3798f53daae9f42c0261b44449306.jpg

Edited by nta16

I now think I have found the definitive answer to my question. My engine takes Castro edge 0w 20 vw508 . I have checked this with multiple sources including Škoda and castrol and have purchased 4ltrs on Amazon in their sale for £33 instead of the usual £63.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your initial report back here, and your answer post to me.

Well that looks current and unusually for Amazon a very good price, I wonder why Castrol are selling the newer stock off cheaper, to your benefit though.

So, do you still have the 2011 Octavia, if so you might want to add the Fabia details too as putting yours is a 2020, Fabia Mk3, 1.0 TSI 95 (and spec level) might speed up future answers for you. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Castrol/page/96F8C9B4-D7AF-404D-BF7B-838FEE0BAD08?ref_=ast_bln

Castrol EDGE 0W-20 LL IV - https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/home/car-engine-oil-and-fluids/engine-oils/engine-oil-brands/castrol-edge-brand/castrol-edge.html#tab_0w-20-ll-iv

WEPP-CPVU6J.pdf

Cheers.