KESSY Start/Stop button failing

GladysFriday

Our 2018 Karoq's stop/start button has been getting progressively more and more intermittent to the point where it can take a good 30 seconds or more of pressing all around the button for the ignition to turn on.

So, having the all-in-one warranty cover I booked it in to be fixed.

I've just picked up a voicemail from the local dealer to say that, if it is a failing button, they haven't been able to get hold of one for a year "due to war with Russia" so they won't be able to replace it if that's what's required. (Which I'm pretty sure it is)

I'm a little incredulous about this frankly. If the button eventually fails completely then we're potentially left stranded. On the up-side, the all-in one scheme includes recovery!

I feel a face-to-face talk with the dealer coming on.

I mean, you're right, it should be fixed in warranty, but these buttons go for around £15-20 on eBay, and even the OEM ones are for £65-70. The war has nothing to do with this as I think they're made in Hungary. I have a feeling they're just trying to get out of this problem.

The replacement is literally a 5 min job with coffee included. Probably the worst part of replacing this button is to actually get the small unit out of the holding plastic thingy.

The reason why it's so cheap is because the button doesn't actually do anything as far as I know, apart from starting the engine. The actual keyless verification and other stuff is done by a different module.

If you get stuck it's possible to just clean it.  I did the same the other month on ours.  

Had to remove the button which is very easy.  Bit of disassembly of the button like this: 

Fixed my issue.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GladysFriday said:

Our 2018 Karoq's stop/start button has been getting progressively more and more intermittent to the point where it can take a good 30 seconds or more of pressing all around the button for the ignition to turn on.

So, having the all-in-one warranty cover I booked it in to be fixed.

I've just picked up a voicemail from the local dealer to say that, if it is a failing button, they haven't been able to get hold of one for a year "due to war with Russia" so they won't be able to replace it if that's what's required. (Which I'm pretty sure it is)

I'm a little incredulous about this frankly. If the button eventually fails completely then we're potentially left stranded. On the up-side, the all-in one scheme includes recovery!

I feel a face-to-face talk with the dealer coming on.

Had a similar issue with the button in our Yeti - recall using IPA to clean it. 

Disappointing to hear this remains a problem with the newer Karoq 

Thanks for all the work-arounds one of which I may try.

However, the point is still that the dealer ought to be dealing with this. The internet seems to be awash with not only chinese copies but apparently genuine OEM switches. If they can get hold of them why can't the dealer?

I'll be asking him on monday.

• Like 1