Low Coolant Error

OvetGenix

Skoda Karoq 2021 2.0ltr Petrol Sportline 15k miles

Hi 

Car last serviced by dealer in October (when it was due)

The car is used on a daily basis mixture of long runs and short runs

Jumped into the car this morning, fired up the engine, and was presented with a whole host of warnings, one after the other. (see attached images)

I switched off, and restarted the car. and the same thing occurred.

Well I don't know if it was a stupid thing to do, I proceeded to move the car of the drive (to see if it would still move) and as I did the warnings seem to clear themselves

Apart from "check coolant" I popped the bonnet and there was coolant at lower than the minimum but some still there. and there was nothing dumped on the drive.

As the journey was less than 3 miles, I drove to work keeping an eye on the water temp level.. and it rose, and levelled off as normal . Still the warning to check coolant.

I visited a local Skoda dealer, and bought some of their recommended coolant, topped it up to the line on the expansion tank. 

Started the car... no error messages, everything is now fine.

My Questions are 

On refitting the cap on the expansion bottle, I didn't double check for tightness. it did finish turning with a loud positive "click" so I guess that's closed now?

Would all these messages be related to simply low coolant, did it just throw the whole system off? why couldn't it just say "low coolant" only?

Thank you 

20240115_083627.jpg

20240115_083635.jpg

44 minutes ago, OvetGenix said:

Skoda Karoq 2021 2.0ltr Petrol Sportline 15k miles

Hi 

Car last serviced by dealer in October (when it was due)

The car is used on a daily basis mixture of long runs and short runs

Jumped into the car this morning, fired up the engine, and was presented with a whole host of warnings, one after the other. (see attached images)

I switched off, and restarted the car. and the same thing occurred.

Well I don't know if it was a stupid thing to do, I proceeded to move the car of the drive (to see if it would still move) and as I did the warnings seem to clear themselves

Apart from "check coolant" I popped the bonnet and there was coolant at lower than the minimum but some still there. and there was nothing dumped on the drive.

As the journey was less than 3 miles, I drove to work keeping an eye on the water temp level.. and it rose, and levelled off as normal . Still the warning to check coolant.

I visited a local Skoda dealer, and bought some of their recommended coolant, topped it up to the line on the expansion tank. 

Started the car... no error messages, everything is now fine.

My Questions are 

On refitting the cap on the expansion bottle, I didn't double check for tightness. it did finish turning with a loud positive "click" so I guess that's closed now?

Would all these messages be related to simply low coolant, did it just throw the whole system off? why couldn't it just say "low coolant" only?

Thank you 

20240115_083627.jpg

20240115_083635.jpg

The coolant has no doubt gone somewhere, although I wonder if the other error messages relate to a failing battery?

If it was just a false warning because of the battery and the Coolant was at between Min & Max and you filled to MAX then it might go back to where it was.

Setting it,s on level.

There is no FILL TO THIS LINE level,  handy if there was, Just MIN & MAX and at a service it might get filled to MAX and when you get home it is back where it was before they FILLED it. 

If it is 2021 then, if it were my car, I would take it in and ask them to check it over - just in case it is something more serious. Even if might be a failing (faulty) battery, it might get replaced under warranty as 2 years is not really an acceptable lifespan for a car battery. they can also do a better visual for rodent activity if its on the ramp I would suspect 🙂

Edited by smipx

Thank you - 

There is a dashed line above the "crease" on the expansion tank, nothing that explicitly says "max" but I filled to there.

Started the car this morning, was colder than yesterday - fine no problems - but I may get the dealer to have a look

Trouble is, despite being very helpful, when I showed the fella behind the "parts desk"  the error messages when I went to get the coolant... the dealer is one of these that want a £150 deposit  before they look at anything and will only refund of there is a fault with the car. but I may go down and have a word with them anyway .

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose you've been monitoring coolant level for the past two weeks after topping up? To be sure it is not leaking anywhere.

During a year, it may evaporate a little. After drive, it's higher of course as it warms up. And in winter it gets a little lower for the same reason. So it might be normal that you needed to top it up. As long as it's stable.

Lots of sudden spontaneous errors all linked that relate to drivetrain and wheels can sometimes be a dodgy wheel sensor or fault with the wiring, or control unit that those areas connect to. Seems more likely to be electrical gremlins to me.