Thoughts on Superb 4x4 280

Just now, silver50 said:

I see it looks like 3 TSI outputs, 187, 220 and 280 (approx)

Just to be clear, my new car is the mk 3 superb, mk4 not available to order yet and I actually prefer the mk3! 

7 minutes ago, silver50 said:

I see it looks like 3 TSI outputs, 187, 220 and 280 (approx)

Yes but not all available at the same time. 280, then 272, then 280 all 4x4. 220 then 190 fwd. I think!

• Like 2

On 18/01/2024 at 09:53, edwards said:

I love mine. best car I have ever owned. 5 years old now and will keep until I have to change. 

Could you please tell me what mpg you are getting please 

11 hours ago, badgolfer123 said:

Could anyone please tell me what kind of mpg to expect if i changed to the AWD 280 tsi sports line plus please really appreciate some feedback 

Around town I used to get between 25 and 30 mpg, once or twice I think I managed 40mpg on long motorway runs driving very sensibly but usually got between 35 and 40mpg. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, badgolfer123 said:

I’m getting 22-23 in the cold weather this week on our 2016 280 but my commute is tiny, just 2 miles in each direction, which is about the same as the wife’s 2003 2.0 Focus! During the summer I get 24-26 on the same journey. 
On a decent 200 mile drive I’ve had around 35-37 and I did once get 39 on a 300 mile drive, but that involved long stretches of 50mph roadworks on the M6. 

• Like 2

On 19/01/2024 at 21:00, badgolfer123 said:

Low to mid 20s in town, mid 20s when its warmer.  Mid 30s on long journeys, maybe high 30s if driven like a saint. Mid 20s towing a twin axle box trailer on journeys. I only do 5k miles a year so it doesn't bother me.

But, honestly if you are buying a 280 then you aren't doing it for economy reasons - if you need that then maybe look at another engine or vehicle.

On 19/01/2024 at 09:00, Paulinkeighley said:

I've just traded my 2021 280 Sportline+ for a new L&K 190. It had <16k on the clock and was very clean both in and out, forget precise name of colour but I think it was Race Blue, very nice. Not sure if dealer will be selling it themselves or moving on elsewhere but there's at least one great used 280 out there looking for a new owner.

Incidentally I was pleasantly surprised at how nippy the 190 is compared to the 280, certainly fast enough for this old man. Doesn't stick to the road like the 4x4 280 did but I'm happy enough.

If not mistaken, the 190 petrol has similar peak torque figure to the 280. Certainly at the lower end (power is torque x rpm) so it'll feel exactly the same unless you rev it out , it's the same ! Discounting losses, gearing etc. 

47 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

If not mistaken, the 190 petrol has similar peak torque figure to the 280. Certainly at the lower end (power is torque x rpm) so it'll feel exactly the same unless you rev it out , it's the same ! Discounting losses, gearing etc. 

Yes I think the torque is limited by the transmission, not so much the engine's capabilities. And they are of course both the same cc. But the big difference with the 280 is that it doesn't spin its wheels when you move off briskly onto a wet roundabout.