New order - price difference query

Hello. 

Just ordered a new Fabia Monte Carlo and noticed that my order form price for the base car is £350 (incl. VAT) more than both the 11/23 price list and the current online configurator. 

Anyone know if there has just been a small 2024 price increase or perhaps whether there is some standard £350 priced item hiding away inside the base model price total ?

Thanks in advance. 

May well be a price increase, dunno.  But make sure they haven't sneaked in some added option that you didn't request, such as alloy wheel insurance or paint protection etc.

Toyota dealer tried that on with me in August - luckily I noticed the finance docs they'd emailed for me to countersign didn't tally with the original order.  "We add that in as standard now as nearly all of our customers ask for it " came his reply !     Guess I must look stupid. :D

Thanks for the thoughts. I rejected all the insurances (of course) so pretty sure it’s not one of those. It isn’t listed as a separate item just an extra £350 bundled into the “base price”. 

I have asked the dealer, and am waiting for a reply. 

The dealer is taking the p..s. Looks like an "Admin Fee" that some of the chancer dealers add. Peter Vardy are infamous for it. Hope you got a discount on the new car price, as you really should not be paying list price for a new car, unless you got a very generous offer on a trade in vehicle. 

Have a good look at the invoice.

Edited by Tintowellfan

Thanks. All is well re. both discount and part-ex negotiations. This is the only puzzle. If it is an undeclared “admin fee” it will be getting removed from the order/invoice without delay!

• Like 1

I am advised that the £350 difference was caused by the dealer’s internal system picking up a future price increase which will apply to all Fabia factory orders from Feb 6th. 

45 minutes ago, pjm007 said:

I am advised that the £350 difference was caused by the dealer’s internal system picking up a future price increase which will apply to all Fabia factory orders from Feb 6th. 

Yep, but you are placing an order at present price in January, not in February. They really are taking the p..s. 

Sorry, just read your post again. I assume they have now removed that £350 as you are placing your order in January before it kicks in.

Edited by Tintowellfan
Update

Almost right! It’s an order for a vehicle that’s already built and on its way to the UK. Not a future factory order therefore. So - yes, the £350 was a mistake and is being removed. 

• Like 1

Just now, pjm007 said:

Almost right! It’s an order for a vehicle that’s already built and on its way to the UK. Not a future factory order therefore. So - yes, the £350 was a mistake and is being removed. 

Yep, good you have had it removed. Not wishing to be smug, but I was totally right. They had no right adding that to your order, especially as it was already in the system. But even for a new order in January it should not have been applied. Methinks your dealer has responded to your requests for more info. If you had not, they certainly would not have voluntarily removed it. I have no time for car salespeople. Sorry for rant.

Definitely dealer trying it on, if they order it in January, they will be paying the January wholesale price, so adding on a future price rise is wrong.

Of course, if they know the prices go up on 6th Feb, nothing to stop dealer ordering loads of stock at the current lower price, parking them on their lot, and then selling it off the forecourt in Feb and March at old price.   Or they could make a gain and sell at higher price even if they bought at lower price.

Thanks for all the comments. I note that there are of course some general negative views about car salesmen & dealerships. Goes with the territory.

However in this case, the extra charge was purely down to a technical glitch in the dealer's in house IT system. Not a Škoda problem in any way. Resolved by the dealer and my bottom line cost after negotiated discount, financial contribution and part-ex deal remains intact. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2024 at 18:12, pjm007 said:

Just to confirm, in case anyone (including me!) doubted this explanation from the dealer, a new brochure & price list has just appeared online today. It’s dated as 2/24 compared to the previous one which was 11/23. Sure enough, the new OTR price for my spec of car has gone up £350. 

On 20/01/2024 at 13:21, pjm007 said:

Hello. 

Just ordered a new Fabia Monte Carlo and noticed that my order form price for the base car is £350 (incl. VAT) more than both the 11/23 price list and the current online configurator. 

Anyone know if there has just been a small 2024 price increase or perhaps whether there is some standard £350 priced item hiding away inside the base model price total ?

Thanks in advance. 

What are you going to do about GAP insurance? go through the dealer or find your own.

21 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

What are you going to do about GAP insurance? go through the dealer or find your own.

Never take GAP insurance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pjm007 said:

Never take GAP insurance. 

Can you explain why? the principal seems sound.

54 minutes ago, pjm007 said:

Are you a gap insurance salesman? 

Sorry I an NOT any sort of salesman. You made a statement "Never take GAP insurance. "

I just wanted to know if you had a real reason for such a sweeping statement.

I never take GAP insurance either, bit of a con methinks. Anyway, generally the first year is covered by your own insurance company as they normally in the event of a total loss in first year will replace like for like. Well they used to.

If going for it though, never take the dealer offer. Try ALA GAP Insurance, they will be at leat half of dealer's quote, and quite possibly even more of a price diffence. I enquired when my wife bought her VW UP a few years ago, and ALA were exactly 25% of dealer quote.

When I bought my Fabia I advised the salesperson not to waste any of his or my time going through all the different add ons, including GAP.

Just personal choice at end of the day, but generally whatever the car salesperson is trying to sell you, you will get it much cheaper buying direct yourself.

Thank you Tintowellfan I looked up ALA Gap insurance and they do look well recommended.

5 hours ago, gumdrop said:

Sorry I an NOT any sort of salesman. You made a statement "Never take GAP insurance. "

I just wanted to know if you had a real reason for such a sweeping statement.

Apologies. I missed off an “I”.

I meant to say “I never take GAP insurance”.

Each to his own. It’s just simple risk management. 

10 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

There is new brochure  6th February 2024 with latest prices

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/775d73bc-eb9d-4a50-911e-863d73b99333

Yes - slipped out without fanfare! Looks like 1.0 engine models have gone up £550 cf 1.5 engine increase at £350. Plus - subtle but complicated changes are in there particularly re. the Options & Package choices and their pricing. Online configurator doesn't fully reflect the new brochure, but it didn’t for the last (11/23) version either!