1.5 SE-L DSG

Evening,

I’ve had my MkIII Octavia Elegance for approaching seven years now and have put over 100,000 miles on it in that time. Averaged closed to 50mpg doing mostly ~40 mile journeys on fast roads, which I’ve been very happy with. I’m looking at replacing it now though and the obvious choice would appear to be a MkIV Octavia.

As per the title, I would have ideally opted for the SE-L trim and the 1.5 petrol DSG, but it would appear no such car exists! Having trawled AutoTrader and the 2020 Octavia brochure it would seem that my only pure petrol DSG option is the 2.0 vRS, which I’d rather not go for due to ride quality and economy. The only other DSG options are mild hybrids in either 1.0 SE guise or the 1.4 SE-L.

Is the above accurate? I’m not yet willing to embrace MHEV technology until it’s a bit more established so I’m a bit disappointed to see it’s either a vRS or nothing!

Might have to look at a Superb instead as there are plenty of petrol DSG examples around, although it is starting to look a bit dated now.

Any comments welcome!

They could be, i just read 2020 and looked at 2020 cars.

The 1.4 TSI are not mild hybrids are they, they are PHEV,s / Plug in Hybrids.  1,4 TSI iV.

You are right no 1.5 TSI DSG Hatches showing.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 19.01.53.png

Edited by Rooted

Back in 2020 there was only 1.0 eTec DSG or 1.5 manual. I think in 2021 the 1.5 eTec DSGs became available as well.

Don’t be too reluctant of the eTec mild hybrids; I had a loan 1.0 eTec SE FE DSG estate (2020 model) for five months, it was faultless over 8500 miles. Performed well enough and returned mid-50s mpg; I imagine a 1.5 eTec would be equally good for economy and that bit quicker & more capable with a full load. Overall I would rather my manual 1.5 were an eTec DSG. Next time… 😉

@Satuok The mild hybrid versions have been around for a couple of years.  Not sure why you don't want to embrace it (a new Octavia will also have lots of other additional features that weren't on a mk3 from few years ago).  Conversely some features have been dropped.

In its simplest form, basically is just an electric motor that recovers energy when slowing down, as it works as alternator, and an extra battery, that same motor can then assist.  It's not as if fitting an alternator to convert power to electricity is a new concept.

The Superb is about to be replaced, and new one doesn't even have a gear lever as there are no manuals. I think the Octavia gets a facelift later this year.