Rear shock absorbers replace

Hi

am about to replace the rear shocks on a 2007 tdi octavia. has someone done this and has any advice/tips?

the nut on top of the shocks seems to need a torx bit and a spanner to take off the top mount but that could be wrong. wasnt easy to see on a video i watched.

any pointers welcome

nice to see the forum still going good!!

What head they have on top depends a bit what shock absorbers are on there, be it standard or aftermarket. To be fair, I'm a big fan of spraying them up, then sticking the impact gun on the nut - it generally undoes them straight away. 

3 hours ago, StevesTruck said:

What head they have on top depends a bit what shock absorbers are on there, be it standard or aftermarket. To be fair, I'm a big fan of spraying them up, then sticking the impact gun on the nut - it generally undoes them straight away. 

i doubt these have been changed out before so standard from the factory. think i can just grab the top with vice grips carefully

thanks for reply

unfortunately dont have impact gun

Edited by huwants2no

The standard ones have a flat on the threaded portion if my memory serves me correctly.

The fronts need a long allen key or preferably a long 3/8 drive hex adaptor, cant think of the proper name.

It could be that the rears are like that and my memory has failed me.

I bought a really good pair of vice grips designed for holding round shafts, they grip really well stopping any rotation without damaging the piston rod, worth having. They are the genuine American Vice Grips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

The standard ones have a flat on the threaded portion if my memory serves me correctly.

The fronts need a long allen key or preferably a long 3/8 drive hex adaptor, cant think of the proper name.

It could be that the rears are like that and my memory has failed me.

I bought a really good pair of vice grips designed for holding round shafts, they grip really well stopping any rotation without damaging the piston rod, worth having. They are the genuine American Vice Grips.

rears you dont have to compress the spring so bit easier and not everyone has that compression tool i guess.

i remember using the allen key and ring spanner on the fronts on mk1 vrs. think the mk2 IZ front are similar in that sense

thanks for the info

If your car has self levelling headlights make sure you mechanically disconnect the axle level sensor. Getting the rear spring out on that side of the axle will require more travel than the sensor will allow if not disconnected.

5 hours ago, ah29 said:

If your car has self levelling headlights make sure you mechanically disconnect the axle level sensor. Getting the rear spring out on that side of the axle will require more travel than the sensor will allow if not disconnected.

mine doesnt have that and can change shocks out without removing the springs

thanks