How can I stop music playing from phone via BT but keep phone connected?

Hi all

first time post so please be gentle :)

I've recently purchased a 2023 Kodiaq and have been setting up the infotainment.  One thing I've found that I cannot seem to sort it how to stop the media function from connecting to my phone every time I start it up.  For personal reasons I've got all my music on a USB and want to use this exclusively for music - not stream from my phone.  If I disconnect from BT I lose the hands free phone function but if I connect it, it  automatically connects it as a media source as well.  I have found a way to temporarily disable media source whilst keeping phone connected (apps>settings>mobile devices then deselect media) but I'm having to do this every time I jump in.  Is there any way to permanently remove the phone as a media source whilst keeping connected as a phone?

Hopefully this makes sense

TIA

Not sure, but are you using Android Auto? You probably are, newer cars have a wireless AA compability, even if you havent noticed it. There is an option in AA settings, something like "start playing media when connected".

1 minute ago, linni said:

Not sure, but are you using Android Auto? You probably are, newer cars have a wireless AA compability, even if you havent noticed it. There is an option in AA settings, something like "start playing media when connected".

no, I've got an iPhone.  The phone media doesn't play immediately - it interlaces with the actual USB so both are being used simultaneously, but obviously not actually playing at the same time, so media playback is jumping between phone and usb. I've not connected the phone with carplay, just BT. Carplay is turned off.  The infotainment is just reading off both sources at the same time rather than the selected one (USB)

thanks.   i tried searching first but couldn't find my particular issue.  most seem to be where people can't connect their iphone.

i'm not sure it's actually a phone issue though, as all i've done is connect it via BT.  Carplay is off and it's the car pairing with the phone when I start it and reconnecting to the media when it does.  As mentioned I can turn off the media connection whilst leaving the phone connected when I've started the car, but I don't know why it forgets this when I next turn on the ignition

I don't have an iphone. I use Android Auto, haven't a clue about Carplay.

But assuming Carplay operates in the same way, then is there any specific reason you've turned CarPlay off?  I'd be tempted to access my phone via CarPlay and then USB should work independently.

( in theory that is 🤔 )

Just now, kodiaqsportline said:

I don't have an iphone. I use Android Auto, haven't a clue about Carplay.

But assuming Carplay operates in the same way, then is there any specific reason you've turned CarPlay off?  I'd be tempted to access my phone via CarPlay and then USB should work independently.

( in theory that is 🤔 )

just never felt the need for it, so never used it.  music plays from USB and phone is just a phone. might give it a try though

I'm not sure if I fully understand your set up.  I'm an iPhone user. And can easily deal with music and phone.

My phone carries a bundle of music courtesy of Radio Paradise.  A few hours of music are reloaded at my leisure at home.

I prefer the Bluetooth connection as it gives me the easy access to the phone via the steering wheel to make (rare) outgoing calls while easily handling a few incoming calls.

I never use the full bifta "give me my phone Apps on my car screen - I want to deal with messages, etc, etc." as it does not meet my needs. (seems a complete distraction)

My phone does automatically connect when I start up, i.e. PHONE + MEDIA source, but I have no trouble selecting an option between Radio, Phone, Media, etc.

If you find MEDIA starts up automatically then simply push the RADIO button and media will disappear.  Or push the PAUSE button on the MEDIA screen.

Don't let the tail wag the dog 🙂

what's happening is it's connecting the the phone media when I start the car but then using both the usb and the phone interchangeably - it will play several tracks from USB then jump to the phone then back again without any input from me.  I can turn off the connection to the phone as a media source whilst keeping the phone connected but the infotainment doesn't remember this next time I start up.  I don't mind the phone connecting as BT player, I just don't want it to take over from the USB randomly then back again, I just want the USB to play and ignore the phone as a media source as it's much lower quality (128kps vs FLAC).

Did have a bit of a breakthrough today as I tried carplay as suggested by @kodiaqsportline and it behaved as he suggested it would.  I then turned off the carplay and when back to connection via BT and since then it seems to have been ok.  The phone still connects as a media source but it's not actually playing if I've chosen the USB as the source i.e. as I would expect.  Was stable for the hour I drove home with no playback from the phone so fingers crossed it's resolved whatever conflict was causing it to randomly choose which media source to use

I'm glad that worked for you, but those of us that use the MIB3 software ( 2020 onwards ) will be only too well aware that every now and then it throws a 'wobbly' for which there is no explanation. Or if there is, the VW software engineers have yet to find it.

Hope it stays stable for you.

Edited by kodiaqsportline