TDi 150 engine issues compared with the 140?

Prezafab

Thinking about replacing our reliable TDi 140 with a newer 150 engined model with about 50k on it.

Does the 150 have any issues I need to be aware of , compared with the older engine ? Anything ad blue related?

I've seen the odd mention of Ad-Blue heaters and level control not registering when topping up but that's about it.

The latter is usually when it's absolutely empty with only a few miles left.

Having owned both starting at a similar milage (90k) the 150 is a much nicer car.

• Like 4

Mine is a 2016 150  manual with 52k miles, L&K leak free.

Under its 5 year warranty I had LHR wheel sensor replaced and a new Amundsen2 unit.

Local use under 15 miles we use the Fiat 500. On the spreadsheet from new, 52.8 mpg.

Just replaced all glow plugs as No.3 (with the sensor) failed.

7000 miles between AdBlue fills.

Universal VAG engine, under the Skoda oil filler cap it says VW and many leads in the engine compartment have Audi/VW identifiers.

For us two oldies, a great euro cruiser and apart from the little things above, problem free.

Edited by Bexhillian
  • Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 15:11, Prezafab said:

... A 2018 registered Yeti is a bit rare !

One of the last😉

First registered 19th Feb 2018 only two actual owners, log book says 3 but first one was only 3 weeks so suspect the dealer. Was built mid 2017 so don't know where it went in between.

• Like 1

Since I see you have an Impreza Turbo, a good remap does wonders to wake up a 150 TDI.  My 2016 manual SE L Drive 4x4, mapped by Angel Tuning Scotland is now making a claimed 180 bhp and 295 lbs-ft.  Driving it hard, I get c. 40 mpg. 

2 hours ago, Schtum said:

Since I see you have an Impreza Turbo, a good remap does wonders to wake up a 150 TDI.  My 2016 manual SE L Drive 4x4, mapped by Angel Tuning Scotland is now making a claimed 180 bhp and 295 lbs-ft.  Driving it hard, I get c. 40 mpg. 

I bet the Yeti feels quicker than the Karoq ? I've remapped a fair few cars and never had a problem with them - if the tuner does a safe map. I reckon the one you have is about right for the Yeti at +20%.

Our Yeti is really my other half's - she wants another one but as you know, the choice of SEL Drive 4x4 DSG diesels is very limited or hilariously expensive.  She's not against a Karoq...

23 minutes ago, Prezafab said:

I bet the Yeti feels quicker than the Karoq ? I've remapped a fair few cars and never had a problem with them - if the tuner does a safe map. I reckon the one you have is about right for the Yeti at +20%.

Our Yeti is really my other half's - she wants another one but as you know, the choice of SEL Drive 4x4 DSG diesels is very limited or hilariously expensive.  She's not against a Karoq...

Our Karoq which is really my wife's is a bit quicker off the line.  Just put it in Sport and floor it and it goes.  I'm still swithering about mapping it and the DSG now that the 4 year warranty is up.  It also handles and rides better than the Yeti.  It glides over bumpy back roads where the Yeti leaps from crest to crest.  It's much more refined, much smoother, much more comfortable and having XDS+ as standard it rotates very well in tight corners.  

I've enabled XDS in the Yeti but it's only on the front whereas XDS+ is front and rear.  It does help the Yeti turn in and hold a line but it doesn't extend to assisting rotation. 

The Yeti will live with the Karoq if they're both driven quickly across country.  It doesn't feel as quick and it's harder work.  However with my son in the Yeti chasing me in the Karoq, we discovered it would keep station.  Having said that, the Yeti's rear seats live in the garage all the time so the weight loss will have helped a bit as well.  However, if I remap the Karoq it should make 220 - 230 bhp and 330 lbs-ft.