Corrosion protection of modern Skodas ?

red2

Entirely for my interest and as I've noticed a lot of forum members are based in the U.K., may I ask do you guys use your Skodas frequently on roads that have been salted, and if so, how do these modern vehicles stand up long term to that ?

Yeti drivers are unlikely to keep their car off road because it is winter and wet , cold or snowy or if there has been salting / gritting.

They are have as much corrosion protection as any other Skoda model or VW Group model.

It is things like subframes, brackets and exhausts that suffer corrosion but just as any other VW Group models.

An issue for some Yeti issue less common with other Skoda is Zinc Inclusion'  and there are some cases of Yeti that have had new panels, just refinished panels and maybe several times over their life, and actually Yeti that Skoda should have had in the foyer of Skoda CZ HQ as an example to how to not get QC so bad. 

Just a small percentage of Yeti maybe had the Zinc Inclusion issue, so Skoda should not have made owners jump through hoops. 

Just use a search

google images,  briskoda skoda yeti rust  or briskoda yeti zinc inclusion   then from the pictures you get the threads. 

FB_IMG_1681899397448.jpg.465b0b0f675efefc5eb33c4f52bea7f1.jpg

FB_IMG_1681899393204.jpg.08c032d4030eb3334a63ad5048d99c5a.jpg

IMG_1377.JPG.ce59272ece5cea5de2223dcc37a6371a.jpeg

IMG_1376.JPG.f187589791bb9d21a96019505642ca55.jpeg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

Did the Googling and learned about the zinc inclusion problems, mostly in lower door areas it seems. 

Also the other rust problems that afflict some Yetis generally seem to NOT be the rust-through ( perforation of body panels ) problems of many cars of say the 70's.

I guess the galvanised steel and zinc solution body dipping and 12 year anti-corrosion ( perforation ) warranty is far superior to what the older cars had. 

I remember years ago seeing companies that used products like Waxoyl ( spelling ? ) to "rust-proof" older cars and seeing that they seem to be no longer around is evidence of how much better modern cars are in this respect. 

And only inferred that some may keep their precious Yeti's off salted roads because everyone here seems to rave about the Yeti 🙂. ( I do too. )

Thanks Rooted. 

5 hours ago, red2 said:

I remember years ago seeing companies that used products like Waxoyl ( spelling ? ) to "rust-proof" older cars and seeing that they seem to be no longer around is evidence of how much better modern cars are in this respect. 

Those companies (and others) do still exist, and they will treat modern cars too. Here's a couple of examples.

https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/pages/application-centres

https://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/about-us/

On 23/01/2024 at 16:37, Expatman said:

Talking about Company cars the best by far was a 1991 Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0GSi, smooth, surprisingly fast and a bit of a wolf in sheep’s clothing when it came to performance. Surprised many a boy racer from traffic lights- older and wiser (and retired) now but did enjoy that car.

On 24/01/2024 at 13:23, KiNeL said:

I had TWO, both 1750 Sport versions, wife wrote the first one off so I went and bought another, that alone must make me unique!!!!!!

I covered around 200,000 miles in the pair of with no significant issues, certainly no rear wheels falling off.

In mid range acceleration they were something of a q car and gave many a boy racer a surprise!

Regular problems were rear subframe rubber bushes and clutch release bearings but both were easy enough to replace and their failure more a result of loony driving and habitual double declutching gear changes.

I remember one time having 4 new tyres fitted but went back to the outlet to complain about them, the manager took a ride with me and his only comment was that I had the wrong car not the wrong tyres :D 

I'll get me coat too......................

On 25/01/2024 at 09:41, Paul52 said:

I think it was ETP70C.

The original posting was "Cars with Character" and I guess one of the Volvos I mentioned in my previous post might qualify. Bought second-hand it was a Volvo 265GLE - one of the, for those days, enormous estate cars. It was the only auto I've ever owned and everything was controlled electrically or through vacuum tubes. Among its party pieces was suddenly going into "dead" mode at 70mph on the four lane section of the A27(T). I'd planned to leave at the approaching junction but with no power, no steering (without the engine running it was immovable) and no brakes I had no choice to carry on in a straight line and pray. Fortunately it restarted after a few seconds. Among its other quirks it seems a previous owner had wiired the electric aerial into the brake lights - every time you applied the brakes the aerial retracted and the radio went off. And I spent pretty much every weekend working on it trying to fix various problems as they emerged. Did I mention on a nice gentle, long run it could do as much as 15 mpg? Put your foot down and it could really shift but you could almost see the needle on the petrol gauge go into freefall.

It was comfortable though.

After about six months I decided the car had to go or I'd be bankrupt.

I remember Ziebart being another big name in the UK - my dad's Alfasud Ti definitely needed it ...

@red2 Up until just a few years ago i used Waxoyl & Wax oil clear on new and nearly new cars, and black on older cars that had been welded or cleaned, rust inhibited and then instead of underseal. 

Origanaly Finnigans, then whatever, Hammerite, Tetroseal and Jenolite. 

56 minutes ago, Prezafab said:

I remember Ziebart being another big name in the UK - my dad's Alfasud Ti definitely needed it ...

Alfasud - that brings back memories, colleague had one that rusted as he looked at it. He managed to keep it going for 18 months then the rust won!

• Like 1

... My dad had 4 'Suds. Every ride was exciting.

I still remember being in the Audi dealer with him and being offered £800 trade in against a used Audi Avant mk1. I think it cost him £3-4k new 2 years before.