Handbrake adjustment

How do I get access to the handbrake adjuster in a Roomster as I need to pull 7-8 clicks to get it to hold the car. I know it must be under the centre console but how do I get in there or does the whole lot need to be removed? Also, If I need to fit new cables what is the setting procedure? Thanks for any advice

4 hours ago, Merlindriver said:

How do I get access to the handbrake adjuster in a Roomster as I need to pull 7-8 clicks to get it to hold the car. I know it must be under the centre console but how do I get in there or does the whole lot need to be removed? Also, If I need to fit new cables what is the setting procedure? Thanks for any advice

I don't know if it's the same as my old Octy, but on that the handbrake adjustment went like this:-

1. Stop the car, engine running, handbrake off.
  2. Push the footbrake as hard as you can into the floor. Even use both feet if you have an automatic or DSG.
  3. Now pull on the handbrake without releasing the footbrake.
  4. Release the footbrake and then the handbrake.
  5. If this works you should have the handbrake fully on at 5 or 6 clicks.

I'd do that annually, when booking the MoT, and never failed on handbrake adjustment.

• Like 1

The auto adjustment wedge on the rear drums often seize with age and trying to persuade them as previous poster describes often doesn't work. It's possible to adjust the handbrake by removing the tray behind the handbrake lever, it just pulls out and you'll see the adjuster on the T bar with the 2 cables attached. Small open ended 10mm spanner is required. Pull item 15 up to gain access.

Screenshot_20240209-170658.thumb.png.8ecb3bc2254d779e6aced6c19822ed1e.png

More satisfactory solution is to remove the drums and clean out thoroughly. Details and pics  here

(Fabia/Roomster the same...)

You'll  be able to see how worn the linings are and check the slave cylinders for leaks. As the rear drums are never touched by most garages, they are probably knackered by now, you may find that leaking brake fluid from the slave cylinders has contaminated the linings so making them ineffective even when the handbrake is pulled hard on.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paws4Thot said:

Push the footbrake as hard as you can into the floor. Even use both feet if you have an automatic or DSG.

Push firmly, but never with both feet, you may blow the seals in the master/slave cylinders.

Edited by xman