17" wheel for Superb mk3 wanted

DeeDah

Hi all, I'm after a 17" wheel, steel or alloy as a spare for my mk3 Superb. I think the rim is a 7J

I live in Sheffield so somewhere within 50miles would not be out of the way.

I want to replace the 16" 205/55 R16 that they supplied, as new never been used would fit an Octavia as a full size spare, I'm fairly sure the PDC is the same 5x112.

Cheers Terry

Hi M, yes I'd already worked out that a deeper tyre i.e. 205/65 r16 is a far better fit than the 205/55 r16 supplied by  Skoda with only 5mm increase in diameter than the skoda supplied which has 36mm decrease.

I can't believe that's what Skoda imagined was a good idea, it's not the first time it's been brought up on the forums.

I just preferred the idea of a correct sized spare tyre, I have 2 Contis' with about 5mm tread on them, they would still fit in the wheel well with only a 10mm packer under the floor.

And no problems with cruise control, no speed or distance limits

But thanks anyway M.

Cheers Terry

By the way data was from www.willtheyfit.com

9 hours ago, DeeDah said:

Hi all, I'm after a 17" wheel, steel or alloy as a spare for my mk3 Superb. I think the rim is a 7J

I live in Sheffield so somewhere within 50miles would not be out of the way.

I want to replace the 16" 205/55 R16 that they supplied, as new never been used would fit an Octavia as a full size spare, I'm fairly sure the PDC is the same 5x112.

There's two different 17" rims that are Skoda approved for the Superb Mk3.

6.5Jx17 ET41 5/112 57.1

7Jx17 ET40 5/112 57.1

Both rims use the 215/55R17 tyre size.

Superb MK3 17" alloy rims (from the Skoda accessory catalogue)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/alu-kola/c/alloyWheels?sort=priceAsc&q=%3AscoreDesc%3ArimDiameter%3A17%22%3AcarType%3ASuperb%2BIII%2B%282015%2B%29#

There's a couple of 7Jx17 ET40 5/112 57.1 alloy rims from the Kodiaq listed in the Skoda accessory catalogue on "skoda eshop cz" including the Ratikon alloy rim, as shown in the photo below.

7Jx17 ET40 5/112 57.1 alloy rim Ratikon (from Kodiaq)

Alu kolo Ratikon 17" Kodiaq

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/alu-kola/c/alloyWheels?q=%3AscoreDesc%3ArimDiameter%3A17%22%3AcarType%3AKodiaq%2B%282016%2B%29&text=#

No one makes a steel rim with the 7Jx17 ET40 5/112 57.1 specification. However, you can get a 6.5Jx17 ET38 5/112 57.1 steel rim from the Kodiaq that could be used on the Superb MK3, but it's not one of the standard Skoda approved rim sizes.

Alcar 9021 6.5Jx17 ET38 5/112 57.1 steel rim (from Kodiaq)

ALCAR 9021

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750807?search=ALCAR+Rim+(9021)

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=639488607098246256&rimCode=ALCAR9021

If the 215/55R17 is fitted to a 6.5J rim, it would only need about 5mm of packing to level the carpet, whereas fitting the same size tyre to a wider 7J rim would need about 11mm of packing to level the carpet. This is because only a tyre with an actual inflated width of about 215mm on the Superb MK3 fits in the spare wheel well without raising the carpet.

Actual inflated width of tyre (measured from outside of sidewall to outside of sidewall)

205/65 fitted to 6.5J rim 215mm

215/60 fitted to 6J rim 215mm

215/55 fitted to 6.5J rim 220mm

215/55 fitted to 7J rim 226mm

Edited by Carlston

20 hours ago, DeeDah said:

I have 2 Contis' with about 5mm tread on them

this is an important argument :)

tire i had to buy because had none and have to finish winter season on it,
i chose one, which pass in width, 205/60r17 Dunlop Winter Sport 5,
but mounted it on 7.5J alloy, just because had one left from previous car,
as result, carpet is pushed up about 2cm and i thinking about replace disc to 6.5J

Hi all, the rim width I wasn't absolutely sure about, I'm 90% certain that they are 7J, but having another 2 new tyres fitted next Wednesday so will soon find out.

The biggest problem is finding a second hand rim that is the correct rim width, raising the boot mat is not a problem, I'd just like a rim that is the same dimensions as the originals.

I don't know how you guys feel about the Continental 5s if you have them but I never liked them from new, and now I've swapped front to rear, to even out the wear the rear is shocking,  have 4mm on the rear and 5.5mm on the front, both have the correct amount of air in them, so that's why I'm ditching them for Avon ZV7s, I had 2 lots on my Honda tourer, brilliant wet weather tyre for the money, £119 each but buying 4 I get 20% off so roughly £95 each compared to £155 for the Contis, just don't feel safe with them especially on damp roads never mind wet!, bear in mind I'm an old fart, so don't fly about I just like to have confidence in my tyres.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Safe driving Terry