MP3 Socket - pictures

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does it integrate with the Stream car stereo - as an auxilary input or as one of the CD changer discs? Is the stereo any different.

I'm not too bothered about this because you can add an auxiliary input to the stereo via the phono plugs. Besides, the '07 models have red brake calipers and we know they are not as popular as the green ones.

Nice one Ants, is that my car? when I collect it I will show you how to focus your camera:P :P :P

Your face was a picture when the car bleeped when you locked it:eek:

We will have to have a good play on Thursday and discover any other gems:thumbup:

Taz

Good stuff! Does the car stereo control the MP3 player?

Nope, thats just a head phone jack. What you need to do is get a

Hello,

I would like to add this kind of simple input (activate AUX) into my Stream receiver.

What is the best way (cheap and easy to assemble) to connect my mp3 output to the Stream system?

PS

Local car audio builder offer: Interface kabel (I do not know type) 120 EUR

Nice one Ants' date=' is that my car? when I collect it I will show you how to focus your camera:P :P :P

Taz[/quote']

It's not my camera work that is at fault, your whole car is actually blurred, I'll try a warranty claim!:D

How does it integrate with the Stream car stereo - as an auxilary input or as one of the CD changer discs? Is the stereo any different.

You turn on the Aux option in the Stream menu. Then you just select the aux input as the current source from the button on the front of the head unit.

I don't think the HU looks any different. Visually the word Aux maybe added to the CD button but thats all. Visteon say it's a firmware and minor hardware upgrade that allows this input to be used. The hardware upgrade is a factory thing really so I don't think a retrofit kit will be available.

I'm not too bothered about this because you can add an auxiliary input to the stereo via the phono plugs.

What phono plugs :confused: All of the connections to the Stream are via the Quadlock connector unless this has changed on the 2007 model.

What phono plugs :confused: All of the connections to the Stream are via the Quadlock connector unless this has changed on the 2007 model.

Although the photo is a little dubious, that does look to me like a standard 3.5mm auxilary jack. So you would need a jack>jack cable to connect iPod (other MP3 players are available ;)) to the car...

I do know the Golf Mk5 is available with a proper iPod dock in that location inside the armrest though, so I'm not quite sure :rubchin:

Steve

Having seen the socket, it's my car in the photo, I would say it is a 3.5mm socket hidden under a flap with AUX written on it.

I will find someone with an Ipod or similiar on Thursday when I collect and try it.

I'm too old for an Ipod, the little speakers fall out of my hairy ears:eek:

Taz

Sounds like a bit of Skoda cost-cutting again, because the Golf's available with a proper docking port for the bottom of the iPod, with a range of adaptors for the different revisions - Nano/Mini/3G/4G etc.

That is then going to give you better sound quality, as you get an amped output from the bottom connector, rather than outputting from the headphone jack, which isn't amplified, meaning you have to crank up the stereo and loose quality :rolleyes:

Steve

Sounds like a bit of Skoda cost-cutting again' date=' because the Golf's available with a proper docking port for the bottom of the iPod, with a range of adaptors for the different revisions - Nano/Mini/3G/4G etc.

That is then going to give you better sound quality, as you get an amped output from the bottom connector, rather than outputting from the headphone jack, which isn't amplified, meaning you have to crank up the stereo and loose quality :rolleyes:

Steve[/quote']

Not a problem. There is an option to adjust the sensitivity of the Aux input in the HU menu. The sound quality shouldn't really suffer.

The benefit of the 3.5mm jack is that you can connect any type of audio device to it instead being stuck with just Ipods. I do however agree that the Golf armrest receptacle solution is an elegant one and of course if you drive a VW you wouldnt be seen dead with anything other than an Ipod. :rofl:

The sound quality through the iPod's, or any other makes, headphone socket won't be as good as an amped, alternative output. Like the iPod's bottom connector. No question.

Steve.

The sound quality through the iPod's' date=' or any other makes, headphone socket won't be as good as an amped, alternative output. Like the iPod's bottom connector. No question.

Steve.[/quote']

It's true that the mismatch in impedance between the aux input of the HU and the Ipod will be more susceptable to noise & distortion than using the bottom connector line out on the Ipod which is fixed and more or less impedance matched.

However we are taking about a factory fit head unit here. It's not audiophile territory by any stretch of the imagination. The volume control on the mp3 player and aux in volume control could be adjusted to minimise noise and distortion.

SWMBO's Kenwood HU has an aux input to which i connected her Ipod via its headphone socket. It worked fine but she wanted to have control of the Ipod from the HU. I bought a controller for this and fitted it. Does a great job and makes all connections through the bottom connector but I can't say there's any really noticable difference in sound quality.

However, you can buy an adapter off Ebay which plugs into the bottom connector of the Ipod and provides a usable line-out.

Yep, some fair points raised there. My point of view is based on playing an iPod mini through a fairly decent amp (Marantz 4400) with a 3.5mm to phono cable and it being awful - having to turn volume to 50% to get any kind of audible output, lots of line noise etc. I then got hold of a Sendstation PocketDock (perhaps the eBay adaptor you're referring to) and used a decent quality (Ixos) jack to phono cable. The two are a world apart. The PocketDock's a great device and a bargain at around £15-20.

Steve

Sounds like a bit of Skoda cost-cutting again' date=' because the Golf's available with a proper docking port for the bottom of the iPod, with a range of adaptors for the different revisions - Nano/Mini/3G/4G etc.

Steve[/quote']

Perhaps Skoda have realised that there are other better and cheaper MP3 players than the Apple iPod range. The jack socket allows a much wider range of equipment to be connected up and should be pretty much future proof which the docking port almost certainly won't be.

Now what I want is a retrospective fitting kit for my 05 plate Elegance.

Andy

Perhaps Skoda have realised that there are other better and cheaper MP3 players than the Apple iPod range. The jack socket allows a much wider range of equipment to be connected up and should be pretty much future proof which the docking port almost certainly won't be.

Now what I want is a retrospective fitting kit for my 05 plate Elegance.

Andy

I got an adapter off Ebay for my stream head unit. It plugs into the autochanger socket on the head unit. When you select the changer it plays back whatever is connected to its phono inputs.

It's really only suitable for line level inputs like that off the bottom connector on an Ipod (connectors are available on Ebay). If you just connect via a headphone output on your mp3 player, you have to crank up the volume as there is no way on the stream to alter the cd changer input volume sensitivity. However this applies to all of these type of adapters.

I've emailed the guy who sold me it and he's still selling them but not on Ebay. They are

Johnny

Is the sound quality worthy of the expense? Have car with aux input but no AUX device:rolleyes:

I ask this as a layman to ICE territory, I am by no means an audiophile, but have a deep appreciation of music and enjoy listening to a very wide variety of, music.

At home, in quiet surroundings I can enjoy it, in a car bouning around at 70mph with wind, tyre and background noise, it becomes just another noise that soothes the others.

To start talking of sound quality from a mass produced slither of plastic seems a little futile and pointless given the background noise:confused:

Enjoy a car for driving

Enjoy music for what it is, not to drown out wind and tyre noise but in relaxed and peaceful surroundings, as for car radio, well really, it's why Terry Wogan was invented

oh well...goodnight....zzzzzzzzzz..........

Johnny

Is the sound quality worthy of the expense? Have car with aux input but no AUX device:rolleyes:

I'm confused. Your car must be brand new but without the jumbo box to house the aux socket then? Or do you mean you have a car with the aux input in the jumbo box but no mp3 player?

Hi Johnny

Sorry let me clarify, the car is brand new with the socket fitted in the jumbo box, I do not have an MP3 player.

Is the adaptor worthwhile, will it give a better sound, have listened to some music on an ipod as was not too impressed. Not terribly well up on MP3's I imagine there can be a difference in quality.

I am interested as rather than have 6 discs in the boot I may be tempted to copy many of my cd's into a MP3 player and use the socket if the sound will be good enough.

Thanks

Taz