Rear hatch trim removal and rubber boot connecting wring to body loosened

Aluminium

Removed trim from 22 Kamiq today. Lower trim came off with tools easing trim from body and reasonable force.

Upper trim a bit trickier. there are 2 hidden torx screws one on either side of upper trim. Use a torch to find them.

When they  are removed trim pulls away from side and then from top using more force than mentioned above.

The dreaded plastic clips holding either end of wiring boot connecting tailgate with body are VERY easy to break, especially as one side is a plastic clip and the other is a catch.

However, which is which vcn be determined by loosening rear headlining [ 2 push on plastic studs] and looking under white plastic that holds rubber boot to body. As others have mentioned, a hairdryer warms plastic and with some luck the end with the lug can be GENTLY loosened NOT the end with the protruding plastic lip. I waxolyed clips before refitting, may make them easier to remove in future at any rate will slow down rust.

• Like 1

Thanks for this.

It's a bit difficult to understand though.

- Is the tail gate trim in 2 sections?

i.e. upper and lower and you removed the lower one first or are you saying you started at the bottom of a single piece trim.

- Then the plastic clips you mention, are they clips securing the rubber boot between the opening of the tail gate and car body that protects the wiring loom?

-What are you trying to identify (which is which?) I'm sure it's the configuration of the way the rubber boot is attached to the car body but struggling to visualise a clip from a catch.

Did you do this to install a rear dash cam?

Edited by Stoker

I'd be interested as well with a few photos if at all possible? I've done the front Dashcam but have held off on the rear as the trim seems pretty much fixed and I don't want to damage anything.  The front dash end was bad enough.  

Sorry I wasn't clear.  Hatch trim 2 parts. Lower trip starts at hatch lock and covers metal up to glass. See where handle attached with 1 torx bolt. - remove it first. Start with trim tool or thin plastic at one corner of plastic cover.

Upper trip goes round top of window, arm down each side. REMOVE 2 tork screws before attempting to lever trim off. DON'T lever anywhere near glass, start at one side after removing screws.

There are more springs than shown in diagram. No photos because I've put trim back.

2 rubber concertina boots taking wiring from body to hatch are held in place with plastic clips which are fragile, as others have said. I will sketch them if you like but take it from me, they are tricky! Hope this helps

Lower trim.jpg

Upper trim.jpg

• Thanks 1