Eco mode in drive mode selection

Hi all, relatively new to Superb mk3 ownership, and I've used the search function but couldn't turn anything about this up, so please excuse me if it's a repeat! 

I have a 1.4Tsi ACT DSG Sportline car. It has an eco mode in the drive mode selection, which is great as I need to be as economical as possible in driving. One marginally annoying thing that happens in this mode is that it kind of disengages when I leave the car, return and start it. When I get in and start the car and drive, the gear shows in the display as 'D1', 'D2' etc. However, it doesn't do the normal disengagement of the clutch to 'freewheel' down hills. When I get in, start the engine and then go to drive mode and select 'Eco', it shows 'E1', 'E2' in the gear display, and when going down hills with no throttle applied, goes to 'E' and 'freewheels' (i.e. goes to idle engine speed).

Did anyone have any clue as to why it doesn't retain this setting at ignition off/on and why I have to select it every time? Its not particularly difficult, just a tedious thing that ought to not have to be done. 

I know there are greater things to worry about and occupy my time, so please excuse my question and humour a confused guy.

Thanks!

Because that's what VW decided to do starting with a certain model year.

This can be fixed - but only by changing the parameter files for gateway.

I did this in my car:

Edited by komoornik

21 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

I noticed on my Karoq that the default is to normal mode when the ignition is switched off. No real hassle, just select Eco again when moving

I did mention this in my original post, it's irritating but not impossible to deal with. It could just be better. 

According to Skoda/VW it is a “legal requirement” that the drive mode reverts to normal on power-up. The pre-facelift Superbs remembered the drive mode. But not the post-facelifts. It is a bit silly and annoying.

It's due to the emissions. To comply with euro6 (?) it needs to default to something. So they chose to default to normal. Depending how you drive different people prefer normal or eco for economy. 

20 hours ago, Stunts said:

I did mention this in my original post, it's irritating but not impossible to deal with. It could just be better. 

Sorry OP wasn’t making light of your comment, think my post would have read better if I’d said “no hassle just select Eco . . . . “  Quite agree, wouldn’t have thought it an issue for the system default to have been as it was when last switched off.

Edited by BTandSid

3 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

Sorry OP wasn’t making light of your comment, think my post would have read better if I’d said “no hassle just select Eco . . . . “  Quite agree, wouldn’t have thought it an issue for the system default to have been as it was when last switched off.

Oh, please don't think I took it as such, I didn't 🙂 No need for an apology at all!