New to skoda, new to the forum

Hello, I just bought my self a 2015 MK3 Skoda vrs … hoping this car will last me many years! I’m from a heavy Ford background … I’ve owned a Mondeo mk3 ST and I also still own a mk6 fiesta st

im going out of my comfort zone with a Skoda . But thought I’d join here and introduce myself 

IMG_4374.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

15 hours ago, Bluff said:

Hello, I just bought my self a 2015 MK3 Skoda vrs … hoping this car will last me many years! I’m from a heavy Ford background … I’ve owned a Mondeo mk3 ST and I also still own a mk6 fiesta st

im going out of my comfort zone with a Skoda . But thought I’d join here and introduce myself 

Hello and welcome!

As I also migrated for Skoda from Ford, I know what you mean about moving out of your comfort zone.

In my experience, Skodas require a slightly different approach to maintenance than Fords do.

My Mondeos were just "service, repair, run" cars. (As is my current Fiesta).

My Octavia seems to need a more thoughtful approach to servicing, and seems to need what I would called "fettling".

You need to anticipate problems and administer preventative maintenance before a small problem turns into a big one.

The good news is that most of the issues are known, and can be headed off easily by early intervention.

Some are silly things, like the silica pack in the coolant.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/search/?&q=silica&page=3&quick=1&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

But there are other problems you just need to know about and look out for them starting.

Water pump, timing chain guides, and a load of other stuff I've forgotten.

But all in all, it's a good ownership experience.

Enjoy! 😊

Edited by EnterName

2 hours ago, EnterName said:

Hello and welcome!

As I also migrated for Skoda from Ford, I know what you mean about moving out of your comfort zone.

In my experience, Skodas require a slightly different approach to maintenance than Fords do.

My Mondeos were just "service, repair, run" cars. (As is my current Fiesta).

My Octavia seems to need a more thoughtful approach to servicing, and seems to need what I would called "fettling".

You need to anticipate problems and administer preventative maintenance before a small problem turns into a big one.

The good news is that most of the issues are known, and can be headed off easily by early intervention.

Some are silly things, like the silica pack in the coolant.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/search/?&q=silica&page=3&quick=1&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

But there are other problems you just need to know about and look out for them starting.

Water pump, timing chain guides, and a load of other stuff I've forgotten.

But all in all, it's a good ownership experience.

Enjoy! 😊

Thanks mate, I’ll check it out, I used to do alot of my own work on the fords but I feel like I haven’t got a clue with this new car .. but I had to change eventually my Mondeo was on 230k and developed enough problems to a point I gave up.. engine would probably outlast the car haha. I haven’t drove the Skoda properly only a test drive and it has 3 months warranty… water pump, brakes & cam belt done by the garage who sold it to me.. 

it does seem a little Smokey and stinky when I idle it on my drive .. but it’s not thick smoke.. but it is cold and it’s probably not been driven for a couple of weeks but if it does not improve I’m going to contact the RAC and get it checked properly after a good week of driving 

7 minutes ago, Bluff said:

Thanks mate, I’ll check it out, I used to do alot of my own work on the fords but I feel like I haven’t got a clue with this new car .. but I had to change eventually my Mondeo was on 230k and developed enough problems to a point I gave up.. engine would probably outlast the car haha. I haven’t drove the Skoda properly only a test drive and it has 3 months warranty… water pump, brakes & cam belt done by the garage who sold it to me.. 

it does seem a little Smokey and stinky when I idle it on my drive .. but it’s not thick smoke.. but it is cold and it’s probably not been driven for a couple of weeks but if it does not improve I’m going to contact the RAC and get it checked properly after a good week of driving 

Is it diesel?

12 minutes ago, Bluff said:

Aye it is, I do around 35 miles a day so needed a derv 

There are a few issues with the oil-burners, but they are great engines overall.

How many miles has it done?

This might be a useful thread for you, not for your specific problem, but because there is some expert advice given on VAG TDI fault-finding and remedial action in the thread.

It’s done 132,000 but looking at the MOT history it has never failed and looks to me like it’s mostly motorway mileage (I hope) 

• Like 1