Superb MK 3 Tow bar wiring retrofit

Hi All

My name is Fionn, located in Ireland, Meath, Navan, and a New member to the forum today. I have been hiding in the background for a long time but now need to Pick the collective brains of the group if that’s ok.

I have just purchased a 2019 Mk3 Superb hatch 2L D 190ps auto (Ex UK reg BT69XFM ), having bent my 170 Kombi in the ice last month.

I have purchased and fitted an OEM Swivel Towbar (3V0092160D) and module and am now in the process of installing the harness (3V0055204C) that runs from the rear to the fuse board as it didn’t come with trailer prep.

I am just wondering if anybody can help with the connections to the BCM and fuse box, or if there is a link to a thread where this has been discussed before. I have searched but can’t seem to find the specifics.

I have watched a YouTube post on a mk 2 Kombi that shows how to connect in but the layout is totally different to the Mk3

My Queries are, for a start.  When connecting at the front..

1)      How do you insert the connections into the fuse box? Do you have to release a lock to allow them slot in

2)      The instructions show the removal of a power cable from “pin 3 F121” and re route through a splitter to allow power run to fuse F22. Can any body show where pin 121 is on the back of the fuse box. There appears to be 2 possibilities but not sure.

3)      Are the connectors to the BCM the same construction as the MK 2 , I.E. can you disconnect and split to remove the pins and reassemble. BCM appears to be well hidden and is there an easy way to do this.

Any Techs  that I have spoken to have fitted to cars with tow bar prep and not carried out the front connections so they are as much in the dark as I.

I may look into getting a Main dealer or good Auto elec to connect and program  ( if I can Find one or if anybody has suggestions in my area) if it becomes too much of an ordeal but decided to try here first.

I would like to have it fitted properly and not splice into wires so am fussy about getting it done right. Ill try post photos of the digging I have done so far but not sure if I am allowed yet.

Thanks in advance for all/any input and advice.

Also, if I have posted in the wrong section etc please let me know.

Thanks

Fionn

20240304_161103.jpg

20240306_112917.jpg

20240304_152503.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that.

I eventually bit the bullet and got a guy to connect in for me. His VCDS wasn't up to date so am waiting to get it programmed. 

Hopefully next Wednesday. Till then my dash lights up like a Christmas tree and it has thrown all the toys out of the pram. No ACC front assist etc.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally.

Towbar coded by a local guy using a remote access, R.A.D.E. thingie. He plugged in and a tech remotely accesses the car to download the coding.

A few teething problems, indicators on the trailer acting as brake lights etc. Turns out it was set to USA. Changed to "the rest of the world", locked up and let it sit dead for 20 mins and all worked properly after.

Now I am looking or info on fitting a rear camera. If anybody can advise...

Thanks

get the correct one. It's covered elsewhere on the forum. I was going to do this on my car. Pick also whether you want to go Ali or OEM route. It's going to be a multi-hour job as you'll have to take the entire cladding off the tailgate.