Another strange noise from the front right of the car

When driving through rough road there is rattling noise (not metal, sound like under try is shaking while driving) Car was inspected and driven by the garage guy, sound is always there....car has been put on the ramps several times to identify the cause, but couldn't found anything wrong. Finally they said it could be shock mounting? I took the car to the second garage for second opinion, They also couldn't find the cause and also he said Shock absorber, spring, mounting are all good. Now I am confused.

I already order the shock mounting for £25 from ebay.  guys do you have any opinion what should I do. If the guy takes the shock out and replace the mounting, it will be just waste of money. is there any way, I can test the Mounting of the shock?

The 1st thing I'd check would be arb drop links and then arb bushes.

Drop links are difficult to test in situ by hand, they may feel solid bit still have wear/play, even a small amount can sound awful when driving.

They are not expensive and are easy to change so maybe I'd try that. Or disconnect one end and check, if they are floppy/loose then time to change.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Does any  one know how top mounting of my car should look like. the one I bought, i couldn't see the teeth. it was covered by the rubber amd ,echanic atatched them together and put on the top of the mounting but the one he took out my car hasn't had any rubber. please check the pictures.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Aftermarket parts are often not the same as OEM parts. 

The part in your first pic will sit on the underside of the one in your second photo. As long as the bolt holes are in the same place and the top rubber piece sits in the correct place on the car, all is well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now I am having funny noise..it feels like I am in the plane (the sound is like that) Its whirring sound and when reversing the car for parking (all the way left), i can have some metal grinding sound coming from the front right (same wheel or side I had sound coming from initially). there is nothing wrong with steering wheel or no excesive vibration in the car. Just wondering if i need to pay attention to wheel bearning . to take the locking wheel bolt out, tyre shop guys used heat (fire)..

Composted disc backplate.

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Composted disc backplate.

I checked the backplate, couldn't find anything wrong. I swapped the wheels to determine for the wheel bearning. but no, still same sound and even worse now. It sounds to me the sound is coming from brake pads and rotors..but visually i can not see anything wrong in there.

Car is fixed with new wheel bearing..happy jappy..i can not see (visually) anything wrong with old one though.

IMG20240311143954.jpg

IMG20240311143948.jpg

IMG20240311143941.jpg

Problem is never ending..full lock left if i keep on reverse the car, some point i can still hear metal grinding noise (very mild) as i keep on pressing the brake..and also driving on the road i feel the sound is NOT QUITE right yet. What else could I pay attention to?

Hi,

Can anyone educate me here please. I bought this shock's top mounting for ther front right of my octavia which looks quite different to mine. (Rubber connectiong in both parts of the new one, original one is metal connection to each other.

so, my question is

1. Would it effect anyway in the car's performance? My car is not as smooth as it should be or as it was. i had the wheel bearing changerd as well in the front right.

2. Should i have to replace mounting as pair or it doesn't make lots of difference.

3. I haven't had any problem in the wheel bearing other than some clcicking noise while reversing the car by turning steering wheel left or right position. as the garage guy changed the mounting within couple of days wheel bearing got damaged and needed replaced. So wondering if this wrong mounting (for me at least) caused this damage and if it will cause more issue if i don't replace it with original one.

please advise me as much as possible.

Thank you.

From what you are telling us, you've gone and got third party mounts and average quality wheel bearings and taken the car to a third party garage. Appreciate you are trying to fix things on a budget but with VAG products, unless you really know what you are doing, using third party products and garages will bite you hard.

I suggest; get some proper OEM struct top rubbers (and get the struct tops checked to make sure they aren't rusted through), get both wheel bearings done at the same time (either two front or two rear) with proper OEM bearing kits and then get a wheel alignment done.

• Thanks 1

What is an "average quality" wheel bearing and how can you tell one from what I guess you would call "proper OEM quality"

FWIW for the last 20 years I have fitted the cheapest available replacement parts, springs, struts, strut mounts, ARB drop links, wheel bearings, engine and ABS sensors etc etc, in that time I have only had one niggle, a strut top mount bearing that became as noisy as the one replaced within 3 months, replaced with an even cheaper one which is working fine, the old one bench tests perfectly and will be kept for future use.

A appreciate that others risk thresholds will be different to mine and paying for labour makes a difference.

• Like 1

These are the parts i am going to replace tomorrow. Left shock mount (look at the pictures). They are quite different. Original one feels bit heavier than the new one. same one was set on the front right last week. And also left wheel bearing (febi). Feels really solid..

IMG20240320132005.jpg

IMG20240320134815_tmp.jpg

IMG20240320134854_tmp.jpg

IMG20240320135132.jpg

IMG20240320135119.jpg

Thanks ords. yes i checked the brake backing plate on the same day you mentioned gp73. nothing wrong was found in them. the sound i can hear now is most likely coming from wheel bearing. tonight when I was driving, the brake was really making squeaking noise (as if i have new brake pads installed). it was really making a lot of noise from the front left..I had to spray wd40 ( i didn't have brake cleaner spray with me). it stopps for few hours and then came back again. all the brake pads, disks (front and rear) have plenty of life left apart fron front disks. They are bit worn but still lots of life left in them.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll hopefully get front left wheel bearing and shock mount replaced. Only things I didn't change as of now are track rod ends. my car is now on 119k mileage. is it advisable to replace them as well? i left it for the last as it is fairly easy to replace.