My Octavia and gremlins

Dear Briškodians,

I bought a used Octavia 2018 1.6 diesel last year in a pretty good condition and it made me feel pretty good. Certainly a step up from my 2007 Volvo.

Up until recently everything was going pretty swell. Now, gremlins attacked and I have a few questions hoping you guys might clear up:

1. I kept my light switch ever since I bought it on AUTO position (12 o'clock). I could use all the functions I needed, but today I noticed I could not turn on the high beams - I can only flash (pulling the stalk towards me works, away from me does nothing). I can turn them on if I turn the switch to all the way right.

2. I cannot lower windows using the fob anymore. Pressing and holding the buttons does nothing, I was able to lower and lift the windows. (i tried the press the button, wait 10s, release)

3. Driver's window will not automatically roll down when I "hard press" the button - if I release it it stops moving.. All other buttons/windows work fine - full press, they roll all the way down. (i tried the press the button, wait 10s, release)

4. Doors do not automatically lock if I leave my car alone. It used to lock itself if I remove the key from the ignition and close the doors. Now it doesn't anymore.

Help, anyone, please?

Hello, welcome to the forum. Have you tried pushing the stalk forward twice? On my Octavia, high beam requires two pushes of the stalk in 'Auto' mode - I assume this is to override the automatic function.

Recallibrate the stop points on the drivers window by holding the button down for five seconds after it stops, and then the same for the up position.  Should sort out the one touch up and down.

Gaz

• Like 1

When I had gremlins (random things not working), it all went away with a new battery. My car is 2018 and I replaced the battery last year. 

• Like 1

@Poremetej I checked the operation of the high beams in my Octavia - with lights switched to auto mode, the first push forward of the stalk sets the system to auto HB if lighting conditions permit (with a small white icon displayed in the instrument cluster) The second press forward switches to HB with the blue icon displayed. The white icon is pretty easy to miss - I've never noticed it before. 

• Thanks 1

On 15/03/2024 at 12:59, Warrior193 said:

@Poremetej I checked the operation of the high beams in my Octavia - with lights switched to auto mode, the first push forward of the stalk sets the system to auto HB if lighting conditions permit (with a small white icon displayed in the instrument cluster) The second press forward switches to HB with the blue icon displayed. The white icon is pretty easy to miss - I've never noticed it before. 

One gremlin down. Not so much a gremlin as it is user error - user is an idiot. in AUTO mode high beams cannot be used continuously (pushing the stalk away from the driver) UNLESS lighting conditions allow it. As soon as the night falls/dark area is entered, it can be used again. Until then, high beams can only be used to "flash" them (pulling the stalk towards the driver). Thank you, I realized I was an idiot.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 07:25, AlexBlue said:

When I had gremlins (random things not working), it all went away with a new battery. My car is 2018 and I replaced the battery last year. 

I will most certainly check for this. I was told the battery was new when I bought the car from the used-car dealership, but I don't really trust them. These batteries are start/stop type and I was told they are fairly expensive. Still, I did not notice the expected battery issues - start/stop system works fine, car starts flawlessly, etc. I assume it is ok, but will try to find someone to test (if batteries even can be tested..) or recommend a good replacement.

On 12/03/2024 at 23:02, Gaz said:

Recallibrate the stop points on the drivers window by holding the button down for five seconds after it stops, and then the same for the up position.  Should sort out the one touch up and down.

Gaz

Tried it, no bueno. Maybe I'm missing something. Should the engine be running? Would you happen to have a video or a yt link of how it should be done properly? Google gave me various results, some say 10s, some say 5s, none say whether I should just "give a contact" or start the engine, etc.

On 13/03/2024 at 01:38, ords said:

Scan it for codes. Get the battery checked. Is it the original battery?

I don't think it's the original battery - will check! Checked the codes at my service guy, his diagnostic tool returned all clear, which was funny to me considering the varied gremlins.

On 12/03/2024 at 12:45, Poremetej said:

Dear Briškodians,

I bought a used Octavia 2018 1.6 diesel last year in a pretty good condition and it made me feel pretty good. Certainly a step up from my 2007 Volvo.

Up until recently everything was going pretty swell. Now, gremlins attacked and I have a few questions hoping you guys might clear up:

1. I kept my light switch ever since I bought it on AUTO position (12 o'clock). I could use all the functions I needed, but today I noticed I could not turn on the high beams - I can only flash (pulling the stalk towards me works, away from me does nothing). I can turn them on if I turn the switch to all the way right.

2. I cannot lower windows using the fob anymore. Pressing and holding the buttons does nothing, I was able to lower and lift the windows. (i tried the press the button, wait 10s, release)

3. Driver's window will not automatically roll down when I "hard press" the button - if I release it it stops moving.. All other buttons/windows work fine - full press, they roll all the way down. (i tried the press the button, wait 10s, release)

4. Doors do not automatically lock if I leave my car alone. It used to lock itself if I remove the key from the ignition and close the doors. Now it doesn't anymore.

Help, anyone, please?

Dear Briškodians,

sorry for the late reply - life happened and it took me away for a while. Thanks to Warrior193 one gremlin is down. It was not a gremlin, I was just dumb. Light switch works flawlessly - AUTO function does not allow the use of high beams unless its dark outside. 2, 3 and 4 remain - will check the car battery and get back with more info. We're making progress (I'm learning not to be an idiot)!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Dear Briškodians,

Time for the long-overdue update.

@AlexBlue was right! It was the battery. So, for future reference should someone find this page: if you have persistent errors with windows or you lose some functions like I did in the original post in this thread - check your battery!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Poremetej said:

Dear Briškodians,

Time for the long-overdue update.

@AlexBlue was right! It was the battery. So, for future reference should someone find this page: if you have persistent errors with windows or you lose some functions like I did in the original post in this thread - check your battery!

Kudos for posting an update with solution 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1