Skoda Fabia MK3 Boot Release Button not working

Hi all.

This is my first post in this section of the forum as I have recently acquired a Skoda Fabia MK3 1.2 S EL.  I having trouble trying to find the source of the issue with the electronic boot release button not opening the boot.   If i do a double unlock, the boot button should allow me to open the boot.  However recently this has stopped working.  I am able to open the boot by using the key and holding down the boot release button. I have replaced the boot release button with a new one and it still doesn't work.  

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery and help me find the issue before I throw anymore money into it?  

Does anyone know the location as to where the wiring from the button terminates in the car so I can check continuity of the cables and see if any wires are damaged?

I would imagine if the boot is releasing via the keyfob then the boot locking mechanism is working fine? 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi welcome.

A load of rubbish, even worse than usual - now deleted.

Edited by nta16
to delete post

Thanks for the reply 'nta16'.

FYI - If you go into your vehicle settings via the MMI. You can set which doors to unlock with your remote key. I have it set to unlock the drivers door only using the remote key. So in order to unlock the rest of the vehicle I.e. all doors and boot you press the unlock button twice (double unlock) on your remote key.  Hope that helps you incase you wasn't aware of this function. It's pretty standard on the VAG vehicles and probably others too.

I've managed to get hold of elsawin and have scoured the wiring diagrams. I'm thinking either the earth from the boot release button or the signal wire to the J519 control module is broken. I've tested the old boot switch with a multimeter and it works fine. The boot latch releases with the remote key so the signal from the control module to the catch is OK.

I'm thinking the break will be somewhere within on near to the rubber boot between the boot door and chassis.

Thanks.

More rubbish now deleted.

Edited by nta16
delete rubbish post

You keep mentioning 'locking' in both your post which is perhaps where your getting confused. It's unlocking the vehicle and double unlocking with the remote key.

Good news is that I've fixed the issue. The problem was caused due to a break in the brown/yellow signal wire between the button and the control unit J519. The actual break was within the left side rubber tubing between door and chassis. 

A new strip of wire, a bit of solder, some heat shrink tubing and all is good as new.

Thanks for your advice nta16.

I hope this helps someone in the future with similar issues.

20240314_125026.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many apologises,  I'm not the best at reading posts at the best of times but yesterday (now) for some reason I got out of bed not knowing my arse from my elbow and it remained all day, I hope it's the start of a cold or just an off-day.

Thanks for reporting back and well done on finding the problem and solving it.

One thing to always include in your "looking around" when faced with an electrical issue concerning a issue with the rear hatch, will be the area of wring within the conduit between the body and the rear hatch.

I'm still waiting for any of our VW Group cars from 2000 onwards to hit me with that sort of issue, I've had it with Ford Fiestas in the past and my mate's SAAB 900s, hopefully I'll stay lucky!