Sudden loss of heat in the cabin and now blowing out cold air

I was driving into town today with the fan on at 1 when I felt the cabin becoming usually warm - the temperature dial was set around 20 degrees - it was a cold/mild day (9 degrees) so I turned down the heat dial to minimum.  Later on having parked and returned to the vehicle after 20 minutes, I went to drive home and felt cold so I turned up the heat dial to midway and just cold air was blowing through. Having then set it to Max heat, only cold air remained to flow into the cabin.  

I have read previous forums on this issue - I have checked the antifreeze coolant level which remains at Full so this suggests there is no coolant leak and the cabin floor is dry with no obvious sign of any leaks.  Its been absolutely fine until today.

What was unusual was that sudden burst of heat like opening the car door into a hot summers day feeling then later on no heat at all.

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks

Firstly it is a Skoda, one must accept such things.

Mine will have periods of deciding, randomly,  if I freeze or bake.

Vigorous  turning the selector knob to and fro several times will sometimes coax it to behave, sometimes not.

The alternative to this is to strip out stuff and replace, I'd rather not do that.

1 hour ago, MakD said:

I turned up the heat dial to midway and just cold air was blowing through. Having then set it to Max heat, only cold air remained to flow into the cabin.

I see you have a vRS; what temperature is the outside temperature mode on the computer reading?

1 hour ago, Paws4Thot said:

I see you have a vRS; what temperature is the outside temperature mode on the computer reading?

The air temperature readout is giving the correct temperature reading - currently 8 degrees as i just checked now 

2 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Scan the HVAC module for stored faults. Don't be too surprised if there's a code related to V68 heater flap motor.

My Scanner has packed up, but it does very much sound like this is where the fault lies.  I will investigate further - thank you

Might be worthwhile taking the HVAC cover off, and cleaning the little vent where the sensor is too. Just as a free/quick check or repair. I did a guide on how to remove the panel (it's not difficult mind you) and it's on YouTube.

19 minutes ago, MakD said:

The air temperature readout is giving the correct temperature reading - currently 8 degrees as i just checked now

Maybe not what I thought then; when I had similar symptoms the outside ambient temperature sensor was completely FUBAR and would go from +30C to -20C or back in about a minute.