2023 Superb SE-Technology 1.5 DSG - Advice

Hi, currently in a 2016 1.4 SE Manual 6 Speed Superb and thinking of moving to a 2023 1.5 SE-Tech Superb, but a DSG Model as I like the idea of finally moving to 2 pedal driving.

However reading a few topics on here about the DSG box fills me with dread. Should I be aware of any major issues with the box, or the 1.5 powertrain? 

Thanks

Check the gearbox has been serviced properly at the correct time and you should be fine. The chart I've attached is a mileage chart, but assume 10,000 miles/12 months. So if you need servicing at 40K miles, I'd get it done at 4 years, even if you haven't done 40K miles. (I think there's a service chart that reflects this.)

There have been problems with DSG gearboxes in the past, but they seemed to have been sorted more recently, and certainly a 2023 vehicle should be DSG gremlin-free.

Look out for jerky gear changes from cold, which can indicate problems, as it should change gear well in all temperatures.

My Octavia is my first DSG car, and the DQ381 box it uses has been fine.

I do drive it sympathetically, and I'm aware that the Mechatronic unit may fail at some point, but day to day living with a DSG car has been a delight.

Be aware that different implementations of DSG cars have different characteristics.

For example, my car needs to be put into neutral when stationary, or it "pulls" with the clutch at the biting point, not fully disengaged.

I've noticed that if I put it in neutral then back in gear when stationary, I can let it sit in "Drive" mode without it pulling. It promptly engages the clutch without allowing the car to roll back when I release the brake to move off. (I have an old-fashioned lever type handbrake.)

Other vehicles have no issue with sitting on the brake at junctions, so be aware of how the gearbox works when you drive it, so you can reduce the risk of premature wear.

For all the hassle-free driving benefits of DSG, there is a learning curve to getting the best from them, especially as changing gearbox mode can also change other characteristics of your car.

Good luck!

GearboxServiceIntervals.jpg.34f5dfa6a9051a170f73d7b3ef8deba7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I take the pragmatic view. If you listened to every single warning/issue out there about anything you would never get out of bed in the morning (although I have no doubt there are some sort of warnings about staying in bed lol)

In the OPs case a 2023 car will still have some manufacturers warranty left and as suggested above just do the relevant maintenance otherwise just drive & enjoy :)

Edited by Winston_Woof
  • Like 2

If the DSG is a DQ200 which it is with a 1.5 TSI ACT then there is no servicing at 40,000 or 80,000 miles as the chart posted shows.

That is if FWD, 250 Nm or less. 180 ps or less.   The car in question is 150 ps. 

• Like 1