Damn it po403 egr a control circuit open

as title, coming back from Yorkshire and went into limp, cleared at motorway café   and came on at increasingly shorter distances , tbh i have searched and gained a fair bit of insight into the problem , i changed the  egr  vacuum solenoid yesterday  a/ because it was 20 quid b/ could it break down under heat like my oil boiler one did 

So did about 25 miles giving her some stick yesterday and she drives great, probably better .

i may be fooling myself though and the egr is sticking but drives great, tickover steady. But i dont feel confident to drive to Yorkshire again

i suppose if i had vcds i could tell the valve to move and gain more info ?

btw she gets bp standard and millers ecoboost

Also had a new steeing rack for mot and wondered if coulld be connected, cant get my hand to the connector, looks a solid thing though on the pics i have seen

Screenshot_2024-03-14-21-48-45-69_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817 (1).jpg

Posted (edited)

Fault free still since the vacuum solenoid  and thinking about  restricting the egr flow to the point where no light is  put on (badly phrased, just until the light doesn't come on) just to give it chance for my snake oils to clean, if only slightly that area, Also going to set up an old phone to run dpf software to tell me when a regen is due and finished,

Edited by anton

No big suprise my fault occurred again, I can do some fair miles before it occurs and heat seems to trigger it, I just have this nagging doubt it's not egr ( Foolish hope maybe haha)

How the hell some of you get the connector of the egr to fit a simulator I have no idea can't get anywhere near it, put an air filter in today and even with the air box off I just can't.

Mixed messages about tuning out the egr as seeing some who have regen issues after and don't really want to remove the dpf.

The last few  times it happened was on overrun, I believe the torque app gives egr valve info but also maybe the n75 isn't working as it should or maybe I am on the wrong track 

• Like 1

Hi ..

its your egr is sticking..

im having the same increasingly frequent limp mode with the 1.6 cayc in my octy, especially since i stopped driving it for work a few weeks ago when i was told to use a van again instead of mileage.

literally just now on the shopping run.

Screenshot_20240323-094507_Carista.thumb.jpg.8d3978677b29cf1981e1ed076fcf9634.jpg

i also get a flashing coil error and "maf" error on occassion, but its really the egr. that doesnt throw a limp though, and happens if i coast for more than 5seconds without a throttle blip.

due a service soon. and my skoda semi indy (own time after work in skoda dealers) told he can get the egr blankedand mapped out for me for about 300quid. lot cheaper than a new one..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

i put vag dpf on my phone today and was watching high pressure egr closing reading  moving  about, although i am guessing  this is not the actual valve moving (i i think torque app shows this)  the car drove great for 12 miles, i parked up and then limp kicked in after setting off again 2 hours or so later .

At the moment i can do the roads around me fine but the motorway isn't an option

my quote for a remap st1 or economy plus egr delete and blanking was £275 another guy was 100 quid cheaper but just said blanking isn't necessary and i thought it was if say the valve is stuck open.

Edited by anton

pay a bit more, get it blanked. i will be. at least then its not part of the engine and the ecu wont be looking for it anymore, so it cant become an issue issue again from either side..

at current exchange rates your quote and mine are pretty close, so i dont either are a rip off..

just need to make time for getting done.. i also need an aircon rad replacement and possibly a timing belt/pump, so its gonna be a bit of pricey service already 🙄

On 23/03/2024 at 22:41, mac11irl said:

pay a bit more, get it blanked. i will be. at least then its not part of the engine and the ecu wont be looking for it anymore, so it cant become an issue issue again from either side..

at current exchange rates your quote and mine are pretty close, so i dont either are a rip off..

just need to make time for getting done.. i also need an aircon rad replacement and possibly a timing belt/pump, so its gonna be a bit of pricey service already 🙄

Yeah similar quotes, as regards the other simulator option.....

I bled all over the engine today, I had my hand down the back think I found the lead but no way any line of sight or a chance of touching the connector even got the phone on video and couldn't see it. I have probably spent a few solid hours looking!!

I may get it on the ramps and see what I can see from underneath as it happened after a new steering rack.

I was in wadebridge yesterday and the VW indie ( went to Lidl so had a stroll on ) there advised me to check that connection and if I wanted a diagnostic it would be £50

well using a screen shot in my video i can now at least access the plug on one side, passenger side, damn that is restricted access there, 

yup.. quite the dose.

curiosity, with my fault ive figured out how to "make" it happen..

if i keep the revs under 2100 until the engine is fully warmed up i can avoid the limp mode. 

if i go over that before its at running temp it will dump a limp mode.

also, once up to temp, if i coast / brake for longer than about 5 seconds without blipping the throttle, ill get the non limp mode version of the error, where it tells me its the maf, but it isnt really, its all the egr.

which makes sense - the egr doesnt work until the engine is at running temp, so it being open/ part open when the engine isnt expecting it is going to cause pressure issues.

and again, if its not closing when coming off the throttle, its going to create an unmetered air flow issue aswell..

7 hours ago, mac11irl said:

yup.. quite the dose.

curiosity, with my fault ive figured out how to "make" it happen..

if i keep the revs under 2100 until the engine is fully warmed up i can avoid the limp mode. 

if i go over that before its at running temp it will dump a limp mode.

also, once up to temp, if i coast / brake for longer than about 5 seconds without blipping the throttle, ill get the non limp mode version of the error, where it tells me its the maf, but it isnt really, its all the egr.

which makes sense - the egr doesnt work until the engine is at running temp, so it being open/ part open when the engine isnt expecting it is going to cause pressure issues.

and again, if its not closing when coming off the throttle, its going to create an unmetered air flow issue aswell..

Interesting, mine is similar but its always ok when its cold , I've  been looking in to the function of the n345 that i changed, so i believe it holds back the egr cooling circuit until its up to temp and was wondering if connected.(but I've changed as its cheap anyway)

The positive side to these troubles is gaining more and more fragments of knowledge i guess

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've had 2 pretty long journeys now with no faults, also put some BP ultimate in  (I know but....)

The main things I've done so far is cut the  ends of the n75 pipes so they are totally tight. Changed the n345 and also found the 1 way check valve wasn't working.

Obviously I am not assuming I've fixed it but I want to make sure everything ( that's cheap) even vaughly connected with the egr is ok 

Edit and maybe more importantly I have pressed on the egr connection as well as I could  just in case 

Edited by anton
  • Like 1

il be interested to see how this works out, as it sounds reasonably easy to do.. 

9 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

il be interested to see how this works out, as it sounds reasonably easy to do.. 

Yeah very easy,the 1 way valve was £3.50 on eBay,I could blow through on both sides with the faulty one,

The n345 was pretty cheap also

Can't count my chickens yet but I have a useable car at the moment!!

• Like 1