Eco (cruising) - how does that really work ?

2 hours ago, Rooted said:

People can get more miles from a tank using 'Coasting' while doing trips in the same time at the same speed as not enabling 'Coasting'. 

This is a very strong statement. Maybe in certain coditions, downhill maybe. VW engineers had probably sorted it out, but in everyday life my MPG went up, when I deactivated coasting function.

Specially in urban cycle - in coasting mode the engine still consumes fuel, but in normal mode you lift the accelerator pedal the fuel gets cut off, so no consumption. In addition when coasting in urban, brakes are doing too much job.

• Haha 1

@linni

That is how you roll then. Or not how you roll as it appears from what you experienced

Urban Cycle might well be for urban locations.  Town or city.   

Lets go Rural, countryside, back roads, dual carriageways & motorways & getting places over distances between urban area. 

In that big lump or not big lump of a not city sized vehicle. 

Location location location.

A strong statement because certain conditions apply.  Go from the coast to the hills generally you are going up, inland, coming back down.

Perfect hill roads.  Is Estonia not like that? 

2089459075_Screenshot2020-12-18at06_56_02.jpg.67b94b1fc8f09f500c31efb00edd597f.jpg

455462927_Glenshee10thFeb15037.JPG.767a8ec0865986bf5b235994282498bd.jpeg.639d140d520c8f38ddedfd4f45fbc0c1.jpeg

Edited by Rooted

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

Perfect hill roads.  Is Estonia not like that? 

We have here mostly plainlands, except sothern part, where you can meet some humps.

Agree, coasting may work in hills (at very low gradient though), but here it works the other way.

On 17/03/2024 at 09:40, kodiaqsportline said:

Just a couple of questions

1: What difference to you detect in the way the car drives / performs / economy when the ECO symbol is on?

2: If the answer is nothing then why do you want it on more often ?

ad. 1 the rpm drops significantly and the car "flows" ( I can get far more then without it)

4 hours ago, New11 said:

ad. 1 the rpm drops significantly and the car "flows" ( I can get far more then without it)

We don't need symbols to tell us that. If you don't want the car to rev, take your foot off the accelerator.

If you want to drive economically, drive with as light a right foot as you can.

I mean seriously - why do we need to know if a car is running in 2cyl mode or not? Why do we need to know if the car is coasting? If you press down on the accelerator with any weight, none of those lights will come on.

And last but not least, outside a laboratory, absolutely nobody can tell how much saving these devices achieve. With our Mr Sensible hats on, what we can say is that over a 30min journey, the savings obtained by running for 30secs in neutral or with 2 cylinders ( or both ) makes no difference. If it does make a difference, or some thinks it makes a difference, my question is why are they driving a Kodiaq?

30 minutes from the South on the M77 running down & into Glasgow makes a difference if the toe is off the accelerator, and many other similar situations.

None of it is complicated. 

It is like riding a push bike on a route where there is plenty freewheeling compared to having to be pedalling all the time.

A circular route in one direction can take less energy / fuel than doing it in the other direction.

Driving an EV easily shows just how much different that can be as well. 

Kodiaq or any vehicle if you do regular longer trips do it sometimes 'Coasting enabled' and sometimes not and see if there is a difference.

Or do it for full tanks of fuel end see if you get any difference. 

Coasting is there if you want to have enabled and costs nothing to try, it certainly does not use more fuel.

As for ACT then that is just part of the type of vehicle / engine purchased.   Some can hypermile and drive economically without these features helping. 

CC or ACC on kind of makes any potential fuel saving redundant with 'coasting'. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

We don't need symbols to tell us that. If you don't want the car to rev, take your foot off the accelerator.

If you want to drive economically, drive with as light a right foot as you can.

I mean seriously - why do we need to know if a car is running in 2cyl mode or not? Why do we need to know if the car is coasting? If you press down on the accelerator with any weight, none of those lights will come on.

And last but not least, outside a laboratory, absolutely nobody can tell how much saving these devices achieve. With our Mr Sensible hats on, what we can say is that over a 30min journey, the savings obtained by running for 30secs in neutral or with 2 cylinders ( or both ) makes no difference. If it does make a difference, or some thinks it makes a difference, my question is why are they driving a Kodiaq?

Taking the foot of the accelerator is not the same as the RPM stays the same (high) and drops slowly when your car slows down due to the engine being engaged.

If, for you, reaching 1 mile (no coasting) in the same amount of time is the same as reaching 2 miles (coasting) then, well, we fundamentally disagree.

And I would ask you please to read my original question as it was the original topic that I would like to focus on.

I drove yesterday and was watching the RPM. While coasting the RPM gets below 1000 RPM. With the engine engaged it doesn't drop and the engine is like a "weak" brake: it slows you down

On 20/03/2024 at 09:59, linni said:

Specially in urban cycle - in coasting mode the engine still consumes fuel ...

1. Who said the coasting mode doesn't consume any fuel ?!

2. And what your dashboard says when you are in the coasting mode (you can switch the dashboard to show you MPG updated every 0.5s.) ?

• Confused 1

On 18/03/2024 at 19:34, silver1011 said:

Yes, if Eco mode is manually selected at the beginning of each journey via the ‘mode selection’ feature, or no, if left in Normal mode…

Can anybody attach some picture of where I can manually select the Eco mode please ? In the gear (automatic, diesel) I have only the regular Drive mode (D) and Sport (S) option (and the manual mode when gear pushed towards the passenger)

1 hour ago, New11 said:

Can anybody attach some picture of where I can manually select the Eco mode please ?

If you have a drive mode button next to the gearstick (the one top right in the picture, highlighted yellow because a mode other than ‘normal’ has been selected), then press that to cycle through the modes, or press then select the mode you want from the infotainment screen. If you don’t have a drive mode button, then you can’t.

image.jpeg.7a76dcd39e698c5ea6aab3852b0b5b1e.jpeg

Edit: but as others have said, this adjusts throttle repsonse and when the DSG ‘box changes up/down (and a few other things). It doesn’t permanently engage the ACT / 2-cylinder mode - there is no way of doing that.

Edited by Yogi-Bear
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, New11 said:

1. Who said the coasting mode doesn't consume any fuel ?!

2. And what your dashboard says when you are in the coasting mode (you can switch the dashboard to show you MPG updated every 0.5s.) ?

1. No one said it does or doesn`t. I said it does when engine braking doesn`t.

2. idleing consumption 0,9 liters per hour.

On 22/03/2024 at 10:32, Yogi-Bear said:

If you have a drive mode button next to the gearstick (the one top right in the picture, highlighted yellow because a mode other than ‘normal’ has been selected), then press that to cycle through the modes, or press then select the mode you want from the infotainment screen. If you don’t have a drive mode button, then you can’t.

image.jpeg.7a76dcd39e698c5ea6aab3852b0b5b1e.jpeg

Edit: but as others have said, this adjusts throttle repsonse and when the DSG ‘box changes up/down (and a few other things). It doesn’t permanently engage the ACT / 2-cylinder mode - there is no way of doing that.

Thanks a lot @Yogi-Bear - I don't have that button.

Possibly not quite the same thing but our 2017, 150 diesel DSG will "coast" when you lift off the throttle, but if you touch the brake whilst off the throttle, it will engage a lower gear and provide a bit of engine braking until the throttle is re-applied.