2017 280 Rear Anti Roll Bar lubrication

Hi all, was hoping someone might be able to show a pic of the rear ARB as I'd like to try lubricating the bushes myself. It's creaking really badly. I had it done at a service once and it worked for a good year but last time I asked them to do it there was 0 difference. I suspect they forgot as it wasn't itemised on the invoice like it was the first time. Anyway I've had a bit of a search for a good picture of where I need to put the grease but can't find one. Also I have a can of while lithium grease and a can of silicon. Any preference on those two options? Thanks a bunch!

9 hours ago, Danoid said:

Not sure on location but 100% not lithium as that eats into rubber, silicone grease is what you need

OK yeah I googled that and lithium grease is not recommended for rubber parts. Thanks for the heads up there. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/03/2024 at 08:34, ApertureS said:

Look at a marine rubber grease, won’t wash off and it’s safe for rubber

I've tested this tip last week-end while swapping winter wheels for summer wheels. Just bought a tube of marine grease for less than €4 

It works pretty fine. No noise anymore upon bumps. Awesome! 😃  My Mk3 is now so silent again !

Just curious to see listen how long it will last! ;)

Thank you soooo much @ApertureS

Posted (edited)

Awesome, that's encouraging. Was it hard to get at with the wheel off?

Edited by Andy280

Not that hard with the wheel off.

Quite easy on the rear one, even with a 4x4 version.

On the front one, a bit more difficult to access the inner side but still feasible. Removing the undertray could be clever tip to get a better access to the inner side. Outer side is not an issue.

Otherwise using ramps to raise the front axle and remove the undertray should be another to proceed. Ramps should also work with rear axle.

I may try that next time!