Are looms standard and is there anything I can easily plug in?

I have just bought my daughter a 2009 1.2HTP as for her first car. So far I am pretty pleased with it. 

I am still trying to get to grips with the differences in models, facelift/prefacelift etc etc. - when was the facelift on the Mk2?

This one must be the base model - no aircon, no remote for CDL, 2 speaker stereo etc etc. 

I have been having a look on the various market sites (ebay, gumtree, aliexpress etc etc), there seem to be plenty of parts and accesories available at fairly good prices. 

I am trying to find out if there is anything that I can easily fit that will plug to the existing loom? and what simple upgrade are available. 

Is there a list somewhere of compatible items from other VAG vehicles? 

Are there standard DRL's that can be fitted? either changing headlights or adding fog lights (what would the factory fog light be at that age)?

No, unfortunately you'll barely find a spare centimetre of wire in the bits supplying items that are fitted, let alone any spare connectors for things that aren't.

• Like 1

There is one unused connector I can think of.

It goes to the gearbox, top of diff area next to offside driveshaft flange. Before ABS modules used wheel speed sensors to calculate road speed, there used to be a speed sensor there.

Now the loom connector just plugs into a plastic dummy sensor.

Not much help in your quest, sadly. 

It may have even been designed out by 2009, not sure. Have a look.

Edited by Breezy_Pete

Hi,

If you want to "upgrade" the spec level you will probably have to change the BCM (body control module).

I have rewired the light switch with a relay to make fog lights work as DRLs on a 2009 FII and I have fitted heated washer jets. This all required pulling wires in the car.