Is there some soundproofing missing?

PocketTim

Hi, long time Yeti fan here.

I've been driving a 2014 (Facelift) 4x4 2.0 TDi for about 4 years but it was the base S model with high mileage so I fancied a bit of an upgrade. Traded it for a 2.0 TDi L&K which I'm really happy with, no issues with the roof and it's low mileage and top spec.

Anyway, compared to my old one there is a lot of road/engine noise coming from the centre console/lower dash area. Actually driving me a bit insane especially in lower gear where the engine is revving harder. On inspection and with help from a friend, I have realised that looking down the back of the engine, there's quite a large gap for the transmission tunnel etc and I'm convinced this is where I'm hearing the noise. Should something be in this area? Sadly I don't have my old one for comparison but it was also a 2.0 Diesel 4x4 and much much quieter.

There's definitely nothing loose or any dash rattle, it's sound being carried under the car and it's the diesel rattle that you hear in 1st and 2nd. When getting up to speed then the engine is quiet however if you drive through a puddle you an hear the tyres breaking the water as if you had the windows open.

Because I've owned one before I'm 100% convinced that this isn't normal/ me being over sensitive. 

Not sure really but are the wheel arch liners and undertray fully intact ? I had a Subaru which was letting a lot of road noise in because the nearside liner was broken.

Do you know a friendly local garage who can put in on a ramp to have a look?

Our latest Yeti TDi has some wind 'rustle' from the drivers window above 60mph when the wind is in the wrong direction, but impossible to work out where it's letting the noise in...!

Edited by Prezafab

This view is taken with me standing facing the front of the car, bonnet open, looking downwards from the right hand side of the engine bay, past the firewall. 

You can see there is definitely some insulating material on the firewall itself and down and around into the "transmission tunnel". 

It is silvered so maybe it is more for heat insulation than for sound. Also it doesn't appear to have any lagging type material associated with it, at least not the material you can see edge on, that disappears into the "transmission tunnel", so again perhaps it's main role is not sound insulation.

And just for info., my brother's 2.0 TDI Yeti, despite similar km's, is noticeably quieter than mine. At idle and in the lower gears, I can clearly hear some "diesel clatter" whereas his car is virtually silent. 

P3200020 - Copy.JPG