When to replace battery?

I've just had my 5 year old Octavia serviced - all was well except an advisory that the battery condition is 'poor' and should be replaced.  When Skoda rang and said it was going to cost nearly £360 I said no thanks.

So now I'm wondering how long should I leave it before replacing it?

I'm told it has a life span of 5-8 years, so it's only just hit the start of that. However I do mostly short journeys these days.  Apparently it's rated at 360A (which seems low based on the quick search I did for new batteries, which were all around 700A) and it's currently at 245A.  So that means it's at 68%.  Is that 'poor' or are they exaggerating?

thanks

Just replaced mine last week. It was the original from May 2015, so nearly 9 years old - it did well, but died quickly! Started getting a few warnings on startup one day, wouldn't start the next. Tried charging it but was not having it....

I just got Halfords out to replace it at home - it was an 360A EFB type, cost £150 all in.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, robs12 said:

Just replaced mine last week. It was the original from May 2015, so nearly 9 years old - it did well, but died quickly! Started getting a few warnings on startup one day, wouldn't start the next. Tried charging it but was not having it....

I just got Halfords out to replace it at home - it was an 360A EFB type, cost £150 all in.

Did that include coding?

I had my efb battery replaced and coded in for £150 at me local trusted independent garage on my last mk3 Octavia. 

I'd take yours to a trusted independent first & have it load tested. You may not need a new battery yet. I certainly don't trust main dealers. 

• Like 1

No hard and fast rule when it comes to batteries.

Mines on the original battery, rated at 380A. Whether I'll get any warnings on the dash or stop start won't work or a sudden total failure I don't know. I'll find out one day

As you only do short journeys are you able to charge it up now and then?

35 minutes ago, robs12 said:

Mine's meant to be 360A but I put my reg into the Halfords site and it came up with two EFBs, both 700A.  And Kwik Fit site gave me just two AGMs, both 760A.  Maybe it's just what they have in stock.  All around the £220 mark, fitted (not sure if coded). 

21 minutes ago, Phoenixboy said:

I had my efb battery replaced and coded in for £150 at me local trusted independent garage on my last mk3 Octavia. 

I'd take yours to a trusted independent first & have it load tested. You may not need a new battery yet. I certainly don't trust main dealers. 

Good idea, I'll look into that.  68% doesn't feel particularly 'poor'. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ords said:

No hard and fast rule when it comes to batteries.

Mines on the original battery, rated at 380A. Whether I'll get any warnings on the dash or stop start won't work or a sudden total failure I don't know. I'll find out one day

As you only do short journeys are you able to charge it up now and then?

I'd have to buy a charger as I've realised mine is old and won't work on stop-start cars.  Good to know batteries can last 11 years though!  Mine won't - one of my main short journeys is a battery killer - it's a school run up a steep hill when the engine is cold! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheersDrive said:

Good idea, I'll look into that.  68% doesn't feel particularly 'poor'. 

I first checked mine with a multi meter prior to starting and during idle. My battery was at 12.1v prior to starting, so I knew it was getting down, plus my s/s wasn't working very often, either. I then had it confirmed by taking it for a load test. My current, original battery is 5 years old & still OK. In the past I've had batteries only last two years, others 10 plus. The one I had previously fitted also came with a 2 year guarantee. 

I tend only to use dealers if my car had a dealer related warranty, mainly for convenience when making a claim. Otherwise I'd service it myself or take it to an independent. Even when under warranty I'd change the brakes myself, as Skoda are very expensive. Pads & discs are not covered, as classed as wear & tear, along with the battery, certainly with the Skoda extended warranty which I have now. 

Edited by Phoenixboy