Oil leak - can anyone help identify the source?

Anyone got wisdom they'd be willing to share? 2011 Mkll fabia combi, 1.2 tsi. 

The engine's been cleaned down (by a VAG knowledgeable garage I've used before) because they couldn't tell where it was coming from before. Went away to drive it for a bit, but then they couldn't fit in a re-inspection as quickly as they thought. So trying to gauge what to brace for. 

Photos below show what I can see and get to, to photograph. It's losing enough to pool in the tray at the front, then drip out of the drain hole further back. 

What I can't quite see, or doesn't completely make sense, is the amount dripping vs what & where there's evidence of oil on the engine. Before the clean down I thought head gasket, but, this is too high isn't it? Or have I lost myself in engine architecture navigation?

I've looked up what happens when the usual suspect gaskets go, and I could be being dim / not translating others' photos to what I'm looking at properly, but it doesn't seem to match those. But the oily patches are definitely around seals and joins, so...

The coolant leak was fixed with a pump replacement, but the leak predates that by some time. 

Oiliestlocations.thumb.JPG.abeabdc28e42331d4fdb1eb07699dfa6.JPG

Othersideoffilter.thumb.JPG.5ff3eb5968948ac236a5a702bdd5fa7b.JPG

Oilcloser.thumb.JPG.09d5d77dcad4057464e48805e0a46377.JPG

Trayfront.thumb.JPG.284de9237db61b88f4b7969e94669735.JPG

1 hour ago, MijIsTired said:

But the oily patches are definitely around seals and joins

It might be leaks past those rubbish spring clips. Maybe try replacing them with proper Terry Jubilee clips?

3 places to check

The small PCV valve at the rear and mid to right of the cam cover, often breaks and is left dangling on the rubber hose to the air filter box. Leaving hole open on cam cover blowing oil mist.

The crankshaft seal on the timing cover. It looks like the timing cover has been removed judging from the sealant to change the timing chain. Often garages neglect to change the crankshaft seal on the timing cover which invariably leaks after being removed.

If the timing chain has been changed, sometimes mechanics don't properly clean off the old liquid gasket seal on the sump and block ( sump has to be removed to do a timing chain) and/or are sloppy on reapplying the correct oe liquid gasket, which requires a bit of skill to do properly. Check around the sump seal gasket, if its leaking, the sump has to be removed, cleaned and new sealant reapplied. The sealant takes over 2 hours to cure, so delay refilling oil and restarting the engine.

Also there is some evidence on the photos of the oil filler cap leaking.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with both @xmans observations. 

I had the same issue with the crankshaft seal on the timing cover, was not properly closed and was leaking.  

About the pcv  valve I replaced it  with a cheap oil catch can although I dont get any oil in it, mostly water from vapors. 

And lastly I had a small oil leak/burn from turbo. 

I replaced it and now I have 0 oil leak or burn. 

I suppose you have already fixed it till now, but if not you can spray some brake cleaner and check again where exactly leaks