Skoda Epiq & Elroq

Auto Express No 1,823 Special Issue has some details of a forthcoming small Skoda electric SUV, suggesting it brings back the spirit of the Yeti - actually a little shorter yet with a bigger boot. It will cost around £22,000, presumably base model, and they say it will be available next year. I've got to say that I find the current Kamiq if OK, a bit ordinary and unadventurous to look at, so as far as I'm concerned, it's nice that the artists impression of the Epiq indicates an attractive, interesting & modern appearance, both inside and out (not too keen on the 'thin grill though but back looks good).  Here's hoping this Epiq has a more compliant quieter ride than the Yeti.

In the meantime in around 6 months, a smaller version of the Enyaq, the Elroq, will be introduced (EV equivalent of the Karoq maybe), but no pics in AE.

It's a pity there's no talk of hybrid versions that could use the same electric transmission rather than old style mechanical DSG etc. - rather in the manner of the original BMW EV with range extender.  Not having a drive, as is so for a considerable proportion of the population, I'd be more or less dependant on public charging points.

• Thanks 1

With the atrocious depreciation rates for EVs, and insurance worries over the tendency to write them off rather than repair them, I don't see them as viable for private buyers yet. Business and fleet users get tax incentives to switch, but even they are getting cold feet I understand. 

But at least cars developed to meet the 2026 Safety Standards will have physical controls rather than touch screens. 

Chris 

• Like 1

Private users lease BEV,s just the same as they do ICE vehicles and where they can charge at home or work can save thousands a year on the annual cost compared to buying petrol or diesel. 

Depreciation will be calculated into the cost of the lease from those buying the BEV,s now and leasing them.

The New Skoda models will be type approved in 2024 if being launched in 2025 or even 2026.   

Lets see what the actual RRP,s are when they can actually get them built and into show rooms because so far the spin from the early days has been a nonsense. 

I’d put £50 on the price of “£22,000” not being realistic, I guarantee it’ll be at a minimum £25k, if not more, by the time production actually starts.

Edited by Skyl1n3
  • Like 1

On 28/03/2024 at 20:14, Skyl1n3 said:

I’d put £50 on the price of “£22,000” not being realistic, I guarantee it’ll be at a minimum £25k, if not more, by the time production actually starts.

Certainly used to be the case, but there are massive changes coming in the EV market With Dacia and the Chinese announcing cheap EV's, The big guns have little choice but to reduce prices or die.

I'd say the Dacia Spring is as much an EV gamechanger as Tesla has been.