Skoda Connect subscription expired

On our "new" 2023 S3 the Skoda Connect subscription has expired. I guess it came with the car.

Can anyone tell me if a Skoda Connect subscription is a useful thing to have and probably pay for?

Edited by 26DIPP

• 26DIPP changed the title to Skoda Connect subscription expired

for online maps updates isn't, for remote access is.

often use it to activate Auxiliary heater from mobile phone

in last year's EU trip it were useful to able find where is my car transported after car accident,

Insurance company gave me wrong address by first

for current year i have purchased just partly service

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/513799-mib3-map-updates-2024/?do=findComment&comment=5820323

One of the things that I use mine for is keeping an eye on its movements when it's being serviced.  When its moved out of the service building, I know that it's probably time to go and collect it rather than waiting another three hours for the service receptionist to phone me and tell me that its ready.  Remote locking/unlocking is a really handy feature too.

• Like 1

Do I need to be so suspicous of the dealerships these days?

Does the sat nav need it for traffic updates?

32 minutes ago, 26DIPP said:

Do I need to be so suspicous of the dealerships these days?

Does the sat nav need it for traffic updates?

For traffic updates you need Infotainment Online subscription. MartiniB link has all the info with pictures.

• Like 1

To the OP, do you have the My Skoda app on your phone and have you been using it or intend using it?

If yes, see my comments below. If no, save your money or you'll be paying for nothing.

I have been subscribing to the 'Remote Access'pack since it expired, which gives full access to everything available in the My Skoda app.

It's £30 for a 1 year subscription, which equates to 57p per week. The way I look at things like this is if you buy something like just one bottle of pop or a sandwich or...(any number of things) per week you've already spent more than this would cost, so why have a brand new state of the art vehicle packed with features....and not use them? As I say, that's the way I personally view it, I fully appreciate other people may not wish to spend for these features, they should actually be free as part of owning the vehicle, but they ain't.

In terms of the satnav I don't subscribe as I use the Google Maps via AA anyway. I only ever use the car's satnav if I am in an area with no mobile signal, as the car satnav still works thanks to the onboard database. By not subscribing it means no database updates and no live traffic, but for me it's just a backup until reaching an area with a signal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2024 at 12:09, Paikesejanku said:

For traffic updates you need Infotainment Online subscription. MartiniB link has all the info with pictures.

I’d be interested in the traffic updates which as far as I can see from the Skoda Connect shop is €5. However, I can’t seem to be able to buy it. Put the item in the basket, I’m asked for my billing address but UK doesn’t appear on the drop-down list?

On 28/03/2024 at 10:47, Gax said:

To the OP, do you have the My Skoda app on your phone and have you been using it or intend using it?

If yes, see my comments below. If no, save your money or you'll........

I do not have a mobile phone. I have installed the skoda connect on a android device but cannot really find anything exiting in the program.

If you don't know why you need the service, let it expire & see if something stops working you miss.

You can always subscribe again at any time.

For me it's all a bit useless & Im against buying into the subscription service as it will encourage them to add it for more features. 

However as Gaz said it's only £30 a year so if there's a particular function you use (remote locking or heating) it's probably worth it.

On 10/04/2024 at 18:47, BTandSid said:

I’d be interested in the traffic updates which as far as I can see from the Skoda Connect shop is €5. However, I can’t seem to be able to buy it. Put the item in the basket, I’m asked for my billing address but UK doesn’t appear on the drop-down list?

Anyone help on this? Eager to spend €5 😄

I take the car to Lithuania every year (except lockdown) and I've never heard a traffic report on the radio when I have the box ticked to activate them.

Best as I can tell, what Skoda call "traffication" for a fiver is entirely separate to the live traffic info on the map, which is much more expensive annually. I enabled it for a fiver last year to see what it did.

When enabled, you get another screen that allows you to report "an event" when you see it. If by some bizarre miracle another Skoda (only, I think) driver who has also paid their fiver reports "an event" and it's somewhere near you, it will pop up on your screen.

This is nothing like traffic reports on the satnav screen, and certainly nothing like reports in Waze or whatever either.

I might be wrong, but I think that's how it works.

Edited by crankcase

Bizarrely, after the first year of the live traffic etc expired I have never resubscribed to it, yet everytime I approach a particular road (a section where roadworks have been ongoing two years and have a year to go) even without using the Skoda satnav the car aka 'Laura' pipes up to tell me there are delays expected on this road.

As I say, I don't even subscribe to live traffic...