High Beam Control (Light Assist)

I've recently acquired an Octavia SEL First and using the MySkoda App I have paid for the High Beam Control (Light Assist) function. 

In the shop on the Infotainment screen the High Beam Control appears with a green tick and if I click on it, it shows as purchased. However nothing seems to have changed. The headlights do not auto-dip and when I turn them on I still get the usual blue headlight icon, rather than the white headlight icon with an (A)uto. 

Both the MySkoda App and the Infotainment system have a message 'To secure full and proper functionality please visit your authorised dealer'. Disappointingly though my local dealer is claiming to have no idea what to do. 

Could anybody give me any idea as to what I, or the dealer, can do to make this function work??

Thanks,

James.

10 hours ago, Veloist99 said:

I've recently acquired an Octavia SEL First and using the MySkoda App I have paid for the High Beam Control (Light Assist) function. 

In the shop on the Infotainment screen the High Beam Control appears with a green tick and if I click on it, it shows as purchased. However nothing seems to have changed. The headlights do not auto-dip and when I turn them on I still get the usual blue headlight icon, rather than the white headlight icon with an (A)uto. 

Both the MySkoda App and the Infotainment system have a message 'To secure full and proper functionality please visit your authorised dealer'. Disappointingly though my local dealer is claiming to have no idea what to do. 

Could anybody give me any idea as to what I, or the dealer, can do to make this function work??

Thanks,

James.

I purchased this a couple weeks and once the purchase has been processed they should be available to work shortly afterwards - no need to visit dealership.  I assume the car needs a signal from the Škoda servers to unlock the functionality.  Ensure headlight switch is in Auto, obviously the headlights, on Auto, will only activate when it”s dark which is when you can switch to full beam and see the “A” symbol.  The functionality kicks in at speeds over 30mph.

• Like 2

Have to say I was sceptical wether I would think the High Beam Assist was worthwhile, so much so that Skoda agreed to give me a two-month refund window to fully evaluate it, but based on driving in the dark, with appropriate conditions, it functions very well.

• Like 2

Thank You. That's really helpful, and great to know that you find it of value. I guess that something has gone wrong and it's not properly activated as I don't get the A symbol. Am waiting for dealership to book it in to analyse but I guess maybe they need to reset the whole infotainment screen. 

If you go into the Vehicle settings on the infotainment screen do you see any new option there? I have a Light Assist setting but that was there previously and I think that is the setting that determines as what point the dipped headlights come on. 
Also, at any point in the App or Infotainment did you see a message similar to 'To secure full and proper functionality please visit your authorised dealer'. 

Am just looking for any clues that I can point the dealership at given the confusion this seems to have caused them so far.

2 minutes ago, Veloist99 said:

Thank You. That's really helpful, and great to know that you find it of value. I guess that something has gone wrong and it's not properly activated as I don't get the A symbol. Am waiting for dealership to book it in to analyse but I guess maybe they need to reset the whole infotainment screen. 

If you go into the Vehicle settings on the infotainment screen do you see any new option there? I have a Light Assist setting but that was there previously and I think that is the setting that determines as what point the dipped headlights come on. 
Also, at any point in the App or Infotainment did you see a message similar to 'To secure full and proper functionality please visit your authorised dealer'. 

Am just looking for any clues that I can point the dealership at given the confusion this seems to have caused them so far.

I assume you got email from Škoda saying that the purchase is complete, or you can likely check your Škoda Connect account to ensure the order isn’t stuck on the processing stage?

I’ll upload a picture later of the headlights setting menu so you can compare.

• Sponsor
32 minutes ago, Veloist99 said:

It's nothing to do with the infotainment system so they shouldn't need to reset it

It's licensed in the diagnostic gateway, and controlled via the windscreen camera and body control module 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spcdust said:

I assume you got email from Škoda saying that the purchase is complete, or you can likely check your Škoda Connect account to ensure the order isn’t stuck on the processing stage?

I’ll upload a picture later of the headlights setting menu so you can compare.

Thanks - yes, received email. And it clearly shows in car that it is activated.

1 hour ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

It's nothing to do with the infotainment system so they shouldn't need to reset it

It's licensed in the diagnostic gateway, and controlled via the windscreen camera and body control module 

Thanks. I'll point them at this if they remain confused as to what to do. 

6 minutes ago, Veloist99 said:

Thanks - yes, received email. And it clearly shows in car that it is activated.

Obvious question, have you gone out for a drive at night with Auto selected for your headlights to see if the “A” symbol appears when you put the lights on Full Beam?

@Veloist99 from what you are saying your headlights setting menu looks like this?

Are you able to switch the feature On or Off or is it grayed out?  Wierd if it’s activated it’s not coming working when you switch the lights to full beam.

Apologies, a red herring my comment about driving in the dark to see if you could switch them on.  On my drive home at dusk, still plenty of light but headlights were automatically on, I pushed the headlight stalk to full beam and the “A” symbol was there in white (meaning lights were dipped).

IMG_0595.jpeg

Edited by spcdust

Hi, yes, I have tried driving at night and nothing happens. Thanks for the photo, that should help make it really clear to the dealer what the issue is now. I've attached a screenshot and you can see that I don't have it. 

Thanks for your help. Will let you know what they say.

skoda.jpg

2 hours ago, Veloist99 said:

Hi, yes, I have tried driving at night and nothing happens. Thanks for the photo, that should help make it really clear to the dealer what the issue is now. I've attached a screenshot and you can see that I don't have it. 

Thanks for your help. Will let you know what they say.

skoda.jpg

Might also be worth emailing Skoda Connect directly to see what they have to say  and/or what steps the dealer has to take to enable the function.  If your purchase has successfully completed it really should have been a simple unlocking of the feature via the cars connectivity with Skoda servers?

Skoda Connect wouldn't share that information with me but they want to know when dealer arranges a slot; presumably to talk them through what they need to do.

Irritatingly seems like a visit to the dealer is inevitable - guess it's just one of those things, sometimes these things just don't go through as expected.  Hope they have been able to give you an appointment without too much of a wait?

• Sponsor

One thing I'm not yet sure of is how the software adaptation is carried out remotely after FoD activation 

What confuses me a little is HBA requires a different parameterisation file on the body control module compared to a vehicle without HBA. This alone isn't enough for the feature to work as it still requires the license in the gateway, but it's required along side the license 

I'd be interested in taking a look at a car before/after HBA purchase and see what's what 

I had this feature in the xc 40 i just got rid of and yes it was ok but not worth 180 quid to activate it, when the volvo was free and a feature. I have turned it on for the 1 month FOC but not driven in the dark yet lol.

The thing that i think is beneficial is the speed sign recognition which i missed once i got the octavia, then discovered you can purchase it for 70 quid.

I think they have a cheek charging for safety features imo but that the way of the world these days.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dazzy49 said:

I had this feature in the xc 40 i just got rid of and yes it was ok but not worth 180 quid to activate it, when the volvo was free and a feature. I have turned it on for the 1 month FOC but not driven in the dark yet lol.

The thing that i think is beneficial is the speed sign recognition which i missed once i got the octavia, then discovered you can purchase it for 70 quid.

I think they have a cheek charging for safety features imo but that the way of the world these days.

I guess if it's a feature not specced and paid for on the original configuration and it's a way for subsequent owners to enable it.  But es, it's the way it's going, reminded me of BMW's proposal from last year.  Looks like they realised the consumer wasn't going to take too kindly to a monthly fee to heat their bum:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/7/23863258/bmw-cancel-heated-seat-subscription-microtransaction

As far as road sign recognition goes, unfortunately, on my First Edition, you cannot purchase that functionality.

• Like 2

On 11/04/2024 at 17:27, Dazzy49 said:

Do you mean that you have that as an option to buy in the MySkoda App. That doesn't appear for me, though I'd love to have it. 

Still waiting for dealer to respond to me about the HBA 😞