Skoda infotainment systems - are they based on Android?

I searched but failed to find if this has been discussed before (there are so many discussions about Android Auto that it's possible this is out there, but hard to find).

I'm curious, are the Skoda infotainment systems (my 2019 model year/ early 2020 manufacture Octavia MkIII Scout I think has the base Bolero system, no nav, 8" screen) based on Android? That is, the actual software that runs the infotainment itself, is it a version of Android? Or is it some custom thing for car head units?

The curiosity comes from the concern that, if these things are Android based, then for security/ hack-proofing reasons keeping it up-to-date (something that Skoda does not make easy) would become more important.

thanks,

4 hours ago, langers2k said:

It's QNX based rather than android iirc...

Indeed, with that clue, I looked around, and, yes, it's QNX based. (Which is owned by Blackberry; hadn't known that. Must've saved the company's life!)

I searched for QNX security bulletins, and there aren't many (compared with Linux, Android, etc) though they do happen.

My 2019 Scout does not have connected services, so the only time there's any chance at all of onboard software/firmware getting updated is when the car is in for maintenance - and I never got the feeling from the Skoda dealers here around Barcelona, Spain that that's something they'd even look at unless it was a formal recall.

Does anybody here get software/firmware updates to any part of the car, especially the infotainment system? Do your dealers/ maintenance shops do it automatically? Do they do it if you ask? Do they only do it after you bribe/threaten them?

Being an information security wonk, I'm a big fan of applying available security updates; much less of a fan of applying a constant stream of updates which usually break or change things unnecessarily, adding "features" that I probably don't want, introducing new bugs .. and having no choice but to do that because it's the only way to get security patches, because the art of actually writing quality software and leaving users well-enough alone is long dead, may it rest in peace 🙄

cheers,

I think you're vastly over estimating how much VAG/Skoda care about stuff like this :D

Typically, a dealer will only update firmware if the customer complains about an issue and there is a relevant TSB/TPI which addresses that specific complaint.

As for the Bolero in a 2019/2020 Octavia, the latest version is 0480 which you may already have. I would be quite surprised if there are any more updates...

I posted a copy of the 0480 update TPI a while ago if you want to take a look :)

• Like 1

Hey langers2k,

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

I think you're vastly over estimating how much VAG/Skoda care about stuff like this :D

Typically, a dealer will only update firmware if the customer complains about an issue and there is a relevant TSB/TPI which addresses that specific complaint.

Oh, quite the opposite - thus my wondering whether people had to threaten their dealers to get updates 🙂

Internet of things, of 1700kg things with self-driving characteristics ... what could possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong? (Apologies to Yul Brynner and https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909 - 

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

As for the Bolero in a 2019/2020 Octavia, the latest version is 0480 which you may already have. I would be quite surprised if there are any more updates...

I posted a copy of the 0480 update TPI a while ago if you want to take a look :)

Thanks!  I'll check the version in my car ..

My car's infotainment system version seems to be older:

Device part number: 565035840

Hardware: H41

Software: 0478

Media Codec:

Based on the information that you had posted about this update, it would apply to my vehicle (manufacturer approximately week 16/2020).

But I haven't encountered any of the problems that the 0480 update is meant to fix (also, my unit does not have navigation).

I notice that the hardware version in the other thread that you referenced is H31; mine says H41. And the device part numbers are meaningfully different (a 5Q... series in the other thread that you referenced, 56... in mine).

Although, the image of the system information in that other thread mentions Amundsen, so I suppose I shouldn't expect any comparability of the hardware and part numbers?

I tend to prefer to apply patches when they're available, but since I haven't actually had any of the problems, I'll probably leave it alone.

I mostly use it only for Android Auto anyway, and that's more on my Android device than about the car head unit I guess.

thanks,

On 07/04/2024 at 17:44, langers2k said: