Wheel and tyre dilemma

Hi all, I have tried looking through other posts, so im sorry if I'm asking whats I may have already missed.

Coming up to 12months owning my '19 octavia vrs challange DSG.

When I bought it, the dealer put 4 new tyre on it which seem terrible quality, very poor grip in corners, especially in wet, so I want to change them for starters.

Car has the black and polished 19" extremes, which I'm not a big fan of tbh, plus both N/S have taken a bit of kerb damage.

So this is where my dilemma starts.

Luckily last winter was quite mild so I didn't have too much trouble, but I'm wondering if I should go with 2 sets of wheels/tyres. Is that what most you guys do, or is a good all weather tyre fine for the UK? And if that's the case, what would be wheel size/tyre recommendations?

I like the look of the 19"s but not the style, so want to stay with the same diameter, But as I've been looking around sets of aftermarket wheels, the majority seem to be a width of 8.5", but I'm of the understanding the standard octavia 19s are 7.5"?

Is there any manufacturer tolerances to stick to for width and offset?

Sorry if I come across as sounding clueless, but we'll.... I'm clueless 🤷🏼‍♂️

27 minutes ago, BT_11vRS said:

Sorry if I come across as sounding clueless, but we'll.... I'm clueless

You said it first. After all, we can't comment on Brand_X tyres unless we know what they actually are, and they will literally have something like "Yingtong Ditchfinder 265/40R19 S79H" written on them for you to copy. Similarly the standard wheels will literally have full size data cast into the rims.

5 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

You said it first. After all, we can't comment on Brand_X tyres unless we know what they actually are, and they will literally have something like "Yingtong Ditchfinder 265/40R19 S79H" written on them for you to copy. Similarly the standard wheels will literally have full size data cast into the rims.

Well the tyres that are on currently are Churchill 225/35R19, but thats by the by. They're no good so I don't want to copy them?

Also, I appreciate the current wheel size will be stamped on, but usually require taking the wheel off and unfortunately laid up with a broken leg, im not in a position to do that right now. My question was more what size aftermarket wheels have others fit without issues 👍

3 hours ago, BT_11vRS said:

I appreciate the current wheel size will be stamped on, but usually require taking the wheel off and unfortunately laid up with a broken leg, I'm not in a position to do that right now.

If you have a look in the Skoda parts catalogue, you will see that the specification of the standard 19" wheels is 7.5Jx19 ET51 or to give the full specification it's 7.5Jx19 ET51 5/112 57.1

Skoda parts catalogue

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/skoda/CZ/OCT/805/6/601/601090

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

Plenty of threads on after-market wheels. I'm sure there's more and you'll find similar for tyres if you search. I'm not sure if there's differences between pre and post facelift fitment as post facelift has a wider track.

Personally I run summer tyres all year round (Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric) but many people run all seasons tyres such as CrossClimates. I think you'd only change tyres if you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappySam said:

Plenty of threads on after-market wheels. I'm sure there's more and you'll find similar for tyres if you search. I'm not sure if there's differences between pre and post facelift fitment as post facelift has a wider track.

Personally I run summer tyres all year round (Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric) but many people run all seasons tyres such as CrossClimates. I think you'd only change tyres if you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow.

Cheers bud, I'll have a read through these.

As for tyre type, living in Yorkshire we get the typical seasonal weather, no extremes of snow like other places in the country.

I'm still pretty new to the DSG box, and seem to recall reading a thread about you don't have quite the same amount of control over a manual in certain situations.

Probably just thinking over cautiously

@HappySam "I think you'd only change tyres if you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow"

Winter rated tyres are not just for snow. You absolutely get the benefit in all of the UK. It's even a legal requirement in some parts of Europe. I am an advocate for the right tyres at the right time and will encourage others to use all seasons, or have a second set, if they can afford it. The need for economy targets has led to new cars coming fitted with potentially unsafe tyres.